Complete Indian Cent Collection

If I were you I would pull ALL coins out of the Dansco album NOW. Contrary to popular belief Danso albums do a lot of damage to coins as do Littleton albums.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/prices/indcnt/pricesgd.shtml

Hope that helps you figure out how much each coin is worth.

XF40 1877: $2640
AU50 1877: $2940
MS60 1877: $3600

XF40 1909S: $800
AU50 1909S: $860
MS60 1909S: $970

I'm not sure how much they're worth together as a set but you can do some research on:

http://www.ha.com/c/index.zx

Really I wouldn't buy his coins unless the 1877, 1909S, and 1908S are certified. They are often faked and sometimes even the slabs are faked! So be very careful. If it doesn't look right on first glance, don't buy it. I highly doubt it's worth even $6,000 let alone $11,000. I would say it's around $4,000+ depending on the condition of the 1877 and 1909S. But do your research on Heritage Auctions.

I agree with Stealer, if you buy them remove them from the album. I have stored coins in albums for years and now I am taking them out and putting them in "saflip" holders. Some of the high grade coins over the years have now become dull and toned, and some did not get nice toning either. As far as the value it can make a lot of difference if the coins are XF or MS-65. Just because someone says that is what they grade doesn't mean they do. Look at them carefully and see for yourself. If they are what they say I think it would be ok at $6,000 but if they are all XF then $3500 would be about right. You can tell if the 1877 is authentic by looking at the bottom of the N in the word "one" on the reverse, it was almost always weakly struck. Here is a picture of a real one with the weak struck N followed by a picture of a replica 1877 reverse:

Attachments

• !B)Kf+mQBGk~$(KGrHqV,!h0Ev1+0Fr3nBMMSE1I6(Q~~_35.jpg
    !B)Kf+mQBGk~$(KGrHqV,!h0Ev1+0Fr3nBMMSE1I6(Q~~_35.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 369
  • !B)j4SFgEWk~$(KGrHqF,!h8Ev1+zwsMbBMOBp!0u9w~~_35.jpg
    !B)j4SFgEWk~$(KGrHqF,!h8Ev1+zwsMbBMOBp!0u9w~~_35.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 349
I have to go to storage and dig out my 1877 IH...That was my first coin with my minelab at an old plantation. I never knew the value until a year ago! Its in a penny can...ha

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

Are you serious?! Either way, this thread has probably now made your day :lol:

Also 30U Plymouth ask to take out some of the not so rare "MS" RD coins to see what kind of toning damage that has been done to the coins from their time in the album. If the color on the backs of the coins look nothing like the red on the front, back away immediately. It's definitely not worth it.

I also stress again to make sure the 1877 and 1909S are both properly slabbed and don't look like they have any problems. Maybe print a couple pictures of each coin that is guaranteed certified and study them. If you don't feel comfortable enough to recognize which are fake and which are real, bring them with you to the seller.

If Indian Head cents are something you find really interesting, you should pick up Rick Snow's book A Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents: Complete Source for History, Grading, and Prices.

It's available online for about $15 and covers die varities, proofs, errors, and counterfeits. A very good read.

Back
Top Bottom