Ctx Owners

WyoTom

Elite Member
This is kind of hard to explain but I will give it a shot.... Have you fellow Ctx owners had days when it felt like the machine was just “on” in the zone so to speak and you couldn’t loose? I am noticing a pattern hunting the same place. I will have a stellar hunt (going over the same ground)excellent separation, finding deep coins with iron in the hole, hardly dig any trash, minimal falsing Ect... Go back the next day and it’s just not the same???? Digging deep iron, tons of falsing. I wonder if it could be the noise cancel? That’s the only thing I can think of? Same conditions same ground, I can normally tell when it gets into this “super detector mode” I hit up places in this park I know I have pounded and pull up deep, no doubter keepers. Anyone else experience this? Or am I just crazy???:D

I have experience the same feeling to an extent. I think one important part of the equation is the operator.
Not experience wise as if we have a good day one day and a bad day the next then actually we have a days more experience on the bad day. I am thinking more as a state of mind type thing.
I know some days I find myself really paying a lot of attention to the tones, swing speed, overlap etc. whereas other days I may have a lot on my mind and it wanders off at times and I just seem to be on "auto pilot"
If I feel rushed and have a time limit it seems to throw me off but if I have a day of detecting planned and am not putting off other task I know I need done, then I seem to be able to get into the "zone"

I have experience the same feeling to an extent. I think one important part of the equation is the operator.
Not experience wise as if we have a good day one day and a bad day the next then actually we have a days more experience on the bad day. I am thinking more as a state of mind type thing.
I know some days I find myself really paying a lot of attention to the tones, swing speed, overlap etc. whereas other days I may have a lot on my mind and it wanders off at times and I just seem to be on "auto pilot"
If I feel rushed and have a time limit it seems to throw me off but if I have a day of detecting planned and am not putting off other task I know I need done, then I seem to be able to get into the "zone"

Thanks for the reply! I know what your saying but this is like night and day difference. I’m going to start paying attention to the noise cancel channels.

I have noticed that too, but when I have an "on" day, I wont change anything. I just keep hunting with the same settings, no new noise cancel either. Some times I can keep a "streak" going for days, but eventually it all goes back to normal.

I’ve had those kind of days too, but not limited to the CTX. I always figured it was a combination of mood, comfort, and maybe ground moisture. When I feel good I find more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK Tom,I’ll tell you this...and I’ve paid ALOT of attention to what you describe because I have noticed this WITHOUT A DOUBT!
My biggest enemy is EMI...ANY kind of interference of an electronic/magnetic nature. I have noticed that hunting at/after dusk,when I do which isn’t often due to “life”,is more productive. Less solar interference,less automobile ignition interference,less power going through lines,less cellular usage,wi-if routers....WHATEVER IT IS,it’s better in the evening,and very early in the morning for that matter.
Attitude and your own mental acuity is very important. You must be relaxed and letting the machine do the work! Especially with the CTX,if you have a coin under the coil,it’ll tell you. Running manual sensitivity is getting to be a habit for me,because even in Auto+3,the machine can be too “jacked up”. Sure,I can dial down the Auto level a few notches, but I keep it in manual now for the most part,and run it so there is no “burping and sputtering” when the coil is motionless. That’s what I have gravitated toward,not saying it’s the best all the time! Other things are at work “under the hood” when in Auto,so I hear but don’t know what they are,it’s just something I’ve read places. We all know how THAT goes!:lol:
I have found that in a place with KNOWN bad EMI during the hours you’re able to hunt it,a smaller coil is more productive. Getting into that state of mind where you are working thoroughly,keeping good control of the coil and incorporating the basics of detecting is sometimes hard to do,especially when you’re pressed for time. I tend to hurry sometimes, but then have to force myself to revert to my “method”,and that is what I’ve stated above.
I ALWAYS use channel 6 if the site allows. If it does NOT,I let the machine choose the channel. As I understand it,channel 6 is the “uncorrected” channel...if it did NOT have the ability to frequency shift,this would be the exact frequency range it would use. Magically enough...when I do a noise cancel,MOST of the time it picks...6! Things that make you go “Hmmmm.”..Hmmm ? The other favorites it picks are 9,which seems to find me stuff,and 2,which is just “OK”,from an actual “found stuff” perspective. It matters not what others use or why...whatever works for YOU and seems to make your machine stable and accurate,that’s the key to clean targets.
When things are off,EMI is rampant or you start really tweaking up the sensitivty in hopes of finding more coins but all you do is to enhance the nail falses...a person needs to literally TAKE A BREAK. Go to the car,make a call,slide behind a tree and drain the dragon...take a break. When things are “funny”,many more times than not the sensitivity is set too high for what the surrounding EMI,junk concentration and soil conditions will allow.
A nice rain certainly helps my COPPER count, but it does basically NOTHING for my silver count. I’ve found very deep silver in bone dry ground and in sopping wet ground. That aspect,for ME,doesn’t seem to change much.
Finally,(thank GOD,right?) if you FEEL something isn’t right and you’ve done the basic tweaks and nothing good is happening?...move on. Go to a different site,or maybe the other side of the park. It’ll be there for another day,as long as it’s not a “one and done THAT DAY” permission.
TRUST what the CTX is telling you,even if it’s telling you that on that particular day you’re hunting a complete dud of a site. Because it knows..:grin:

I am going to go with this.... I think sometimes for whatever reason I try to cover more ground than I should and swing the coil faster for the environment than I should. I think the noise cancel being the right one is playing into it too. But when I am not trying to find a nice find and just relaxed and swinging the machine what some term " low and slow" I do pretty well. But when I have one of those great days and then return knowing there is more and I am too focused and trying too hard I have one of those not so great days often.

Thanks for the reply’s guys! Glad I’m not the only one noticing this. I agree with a lot of what you said Kevin... I also seem to do better without a doubt on the silver with dryer ground. I will keep you guys posted if I figure anything out. I bet I am dealing with a lot of silent EMI. It seems like I do better on Saturdays than I do on sundays. There are 3 churches in this area so that would make sense...

Ok.... so I think I found my “Beast Mode” settings... Today was a “on” day for sure! Upon arriving at the site I auto noise canceled and instead of doing it with the coil on the ground I lifted it about a foot off the ground. It chose channel 2 so I just ran with that and auto plus 3 running 23-26.... I’m going to leave all the settings alone and hopefully next trip out will be the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom