Need help with ID and value

2Xplorations

Found this old coin/token in a park a few years back and yes, I cleaned it. :shock:

First just soap and water, tried the lemon juice thing and finally did the Tarn-X thing, so I know, maybe its ruined the value. Its not a Franc its some sort of commemorative French revolution thing I reckon, found some references online to a concert or to the Masons :?: any suggestions?

8unkfrenchobv.jpg

8unkfrenchrev.jpg

From the book Crescendo of the Virtuoso - Section 6 (or just search for the word "loge"

Before the Revolution the Opéra had a double privilège—in theater, in which it shared its public performance monopoly with two other institutions, and in music, in which its monopoly was total, at least legally. For just as rival groups of thespians found ways of circumventing the prohibition against them, so too did rival groups of musicians. Like the directors of some other theaters, those of the Opéra-Comique, where Philidor’s music first won recognition, simply paid a tribute to the Opéra. The older half-brother of Philidor who founded two early public concert series in Paris, the Concerts Spirituels and the Concerts Français, did likewise. Presenting concerts every year from its inception in 1725 until 1790, the Concerts Spirituels turned out to be the most successful series of the eighteenth century. A fugue of public concert series developed from the Opéra’s privilège in the 1770s and 1780s when music lovers organized themselves into nominally private “concert societies” to which they paid annual membership dues. Such was the origin of, for example, the Concerts des Amateurs (Music-Lovers’ Concerts), the Concerts des Amis (Friends’ Concerts), and the Concerts de la Loge Olympique (Olympic Lodge Concerts). This last series, as its name suggests, was staged by a Masonic lodge, and shows the sometimes quasi-public character of Freemasonry, for attendance at the concerts was not restricted to Masons.[14] Freemasons debated social and political issues at their meetings, and a prominent school of Revolution historiography considers these meetings precursors of the meetings of the political clubs and elective assemblies of the first French Republic.[15] Even in fields as dissimilar as music and politics, the vector of publicization was sometimes the same. Masonic lodges in Paris reproduced from half a dozen in the 1730s to 170 in 1771, remaining at about that number until the Revolution brought about their replacement by other social spaces.[16]

http://www.escholarship.org/editions/view?docId=ft438nb2b6;brand=eschol

MASONIC MEDALS. 243

temoignage de reconnaissance. 1838. [The Lodge of the Seven Assembled
Scotchmen, to Worshipful Bro. Vassal,^* its Venerable, (presiding Master,) a
new pledge of appreciation.] This I know only from the foregoing reference
taken from Merzdorf, who quotes it from Latomia, Vol. I, p. i5i. It would
seem to have been an engraved Medal, at least its reverse.

DCXXXV. The Lodge Des Amis Fideles of Paris, struck an octagon
jeton, with the date 6839, an impression of which, says Merzdorf, is in the
Rostock Cabinet, and is mentioned in " Globe," in the same connection with
others just described. I know nothing concerning it,

DCXXXVL Obverse, Between two branches of laurel, crossed at the
bottom, is a lyre ; on its top, separating the branches, a small radiant sun ;
a circle of short rays surrounds the field, outside of which is the legend,

LOGE • DE • LA • PARE • ESTIME • ET • SOCIETE • OLYMPIQUE • [Lodge of Perfect

Esteem and Olympic Society.] Reverse, A wreath of acacia, crossed at the
bottom ; at its top, separating the branches, is a love knot of ribbon, to wMch
are suspended the compasses, rule, square, trowel, a roll or charter, and a bell-
shaped level. In exergue, in two lines, restauravit | 1782 [Literally. He
restored it.] Edge milled. Struck like a coin. Silver and copper. Size 19.
Rare.*"

I Googled my a$$ off looking this up and the whole phrase but thanks

Guess it aint worth much but its cool because its so old, now if I knew how it ended up in a creek in a Dallas park?

Back
Top Bottom