Old coin unknown

bobabbey

I found this in a small box of coins from my great aunt. I have no clue what it is.
Can someone help me out here?
Thanks,
Bob
coinfrtsml.jpg

coinbcksml.jpg

It definitely is a memorial issue for Claudius. Which one, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it may have been part of an issue of Constantine I (the Great), when he was trying to support his claim of family ties to Claudius II Gothicus (who died of plague) and the throne. If it is a small coin (dime sized), I would go this route.

If it is a larger, thick coin, I would have to guess it was a memorial issue of Claudius I, possibly issued by Nero (whose mother poisoned Claudius, IIRC).

Can you tell us the diameter of the coin?

-- Tom

That size would make it Claudius II. Again it's a memorial issue (DIVO I think means that he is being deified). And, it is NOT a reproduction. The portrait is similar to one I have, so that's why I think it was part of Constantine I's issue. I believe Claudius II died of plague during the german campaigns.

-- Tom

It looks like you found a match. However, I don't think the denomination "quinarius" was being used at the time it was minted. The follis was the new denomination, replacing the denarius and the quinarius (half denarius). It's a nice coin, and a bit on the scarce side, but because of the poor condition of the reverse, is kind of hard to put a value on. My best wild guess: $20 - $30, tops.

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom