• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

hunting the mountain road area

yellerstang

Hello,

I have been hunting a mountain road

My hunting buddy and I have found a few coins, he has recently found 3 Indian heads and I found a 1907 D Barber half dollar (posted pic of this earlier).

Along with some trash, I have found a few spent shot gun head stamps, some spent rifle bullets and round balls, plus the other can slaw that is common everywhere.

I am doing some research on this area, there was a drop off point for the trolley and a public park, but, I cannot find out just where these were. The terrain runs uphill and I cant imagine that it was too big, but the word is that at one time there was a nickel a glass beer stand that operated in the summer for special events.

I have been looking for evidence of a foundation, but I cant find any. Tonight I found a large, wide iron staple that is some distance away from the road. As a bonus, I found a turtle shell too, they are both in the pic.

Can anyone tell me how old this staple may be? I am thinking it may have held a sign or a target on a tree at one time. This mountain has been logged out heavily over the years, but there are some larger trees standing that may surpass 100 years of age. So, I am going to keep looking.

Oh, the further up the mountain I go, the less trash there is. Makes sense to me. I have been looking for a path in these woods, but there is nothing really obvious.

Suggestions or ideas? Thanks

Check out the staple, let me know if you think it is from that time period or not. Thanks

Jess in Pa.

Attachments

• 0726012041.jpg
    0726012041.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 338
Never mind staples.We need pictures of coins like that 1907 you found.:lol::lol: Good luck in your future hunts.

Oh sorry you have posted that.Need to find it now.

The staple might be from a fence post to secure barbed wire or electric fencing to. I've found a number of those along with wire insulators from old farm fences.

Sounds like you have a prime search area there. Good luck finding where the stops and other key gathering areas (like the beer stand :D) were. If you find those you'll be finding the coins!

I would try finding old newspapers, or old maps of the area. do some research on the train line and see if you can find some old paper material they handed out.

Lastly maybe go a local nursing home coffee shop and ask an old timer.

Keep hunting the area. you got a nice 50 cent piece, try searching in a tight grid and dig everything.

more info

It seems that there will be lots of info available soon, there is a heritage celebration coming up. I will have to attend that one, see what I can learn. Thanks to those who wrote.

have ya checked on the "historicmapworks" site, that might give ya a general location or maybe the historical society might have some info

Back
Top Bottom