• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Places to Detect

coinguy19

I am pretty new to this hobby and find it very difficult to find places to detect. I've been to a few places that seem like good spots, for example old cellar holes and abandoned farms, but there was just too much junk and nails around. How do you guys find places to detect? Can you suggest any place to start researching an area to detect like a historical society? Thanks.

I'm a member of my local historical society. It does help to find places, though I tend to not discuss it around them too much. They tend to not always agree with metal detecting. Local history museums and old maps are your best tools to find older places to hunt. I use the Sanborn maps quite a bit. I also use the old USGS 1:125,000 maps a lot too. If you have an older neighborhood in your town, it wouldn't hurt to knock on some doors for permission. Some of my best finds have come from knocking on people's doors.

You surely have friends. All the obvious places have been hunted for years. Still can find some things there. But outsource thru your friends. Their homes, there friends homes, and so on. I use it as a pyramid effect. I work long hours, so Dont hunt a lot, but when I do plan an excursion, I have a myriad of choices. Once people know your into this type of hobby, it isnt hard to find a place to search. Kind of like fishing, they dont call it catching...............

Back
Top Bottom