1798 Penny found lying on top ground

Thanks for all the responses, I am going to see if we can find a local coins dealer around here to appraise this for us soon. I will let you all know what the outcome is.

Hey, I found a 100 old coin as a surface find last week. They do lay around a lot, depending on ground conditions. Mine was still in decent shape too. I know it's not 200+ like yours, but it's possible it's real. Great find!

Not coins, but the same situation. I have found a shotshell head that was last made in 1884 on top of the ground. I was swinging and heard that "beep", looked down and saw it. Thought to myself "A modern one.", picked it up and was shocked!

Your friend made an awesome find!
Doug

That is the "2nd variety hair style" 2015 RB
(Ag-3 40$ lowest----Ef-40 highest 1950.00) that's great shape I'm guessing any from 130to250.00. Maybe a little higher, need close up of her head. I'm not an expert... Sweet find!

Based on condition, are we sure this is real and not counterfeit?? Just askin'.

The condition seems really good for a coin in the ground that long.

Hope it's real!!

I live in upstate NY. I have dug an 1853 large cent. That a coin dealer graded at XF and a 1832 cap bust dime in even better shape in the same yard. I can say that coins in the ground can be in great shape. All though the two coins were the only coins in that shape. To date that I have dug. Still looking for any draped bust.

I live in upstate NY. I have dug an 1853 large cent. That a coin dealer graded at XF and a 1832 cap bust dime in even better shape in the same yard. I can say that coins in the ground can be in great shape. All though the two coins were the only coins in that shape. To date that I have dug. Still looking for any draped bust.

A dug, copper coin is impossible to grade XF. It would be environmentally damaged. He likely meant XF details.

Very cool ...

I once found a super nice Merc right on top of the soil too. Shined like new and how it got there is still a Mystery ... between the grass in a lot between two older ( teen's ) homes .... proves to me I'm not the only one.... Woodstock

A dug, copper coin is impossible to grade XF. It would be environmentally damaged. He likely meant XF details.

I have seen people send in dug coins that didn't come back ED here on the forum... ANYTHING is possible.

If not ED, then words like corroded or whatnot. Show me a single dug copper that graded problem free, please.

I actually MIGHT one day be able to do that Parkhunter. If my brother would give me back the 1914D penny I found in sandish dirt over 8" deep in Utah. I want to get it graded for fun BUT he supposedly can't find it.

I think I will rattle his chain again today. I have always wanted pictures of it.

Love this penny. Hope your friend scores a nice chunk of change for it.

Back
Top Bottom