Experienced, but need beginner advice

detectingpro

Here's Johnnnnnnyyy!

Been gone for too long! After a need arose I had to sell my AT pro and Fisher F2, but now I'm finally back. I recently got my first job in a factory, and can finally afford the big boy toys! :laughing: I just ordered a F75 for myself, but here's where I need your opinions/advice. When I did go out detecting, my mom always used my backup, the F2. When I had to sell the ole' F2 she was very disappointed and she never did buy herself a replacement, even though she loved detecting. My plan is to buy her one as a birthday gift in the coming weeks & I figured, if there is a better beginner detector out there, why not give her a better one? After all. She's done so much in my 18 years of life I could never repay her enough. But now I sound like a cheapskate limiting my options to the beginner line of machines.. Reason for that is my mom has said she wouldn't want a advanced detector like the AT pro. Otherwise I'd buy her that instead.

TLDR So my question to you guys is, is the F2 still the best beginner detector out there? I've been gone for long enough and I see there is a boatload of new beginner detectors on the market! I figured I would check into the forum to see the popular opinion before jumping to conclusions and getting the F2.

TYIA FMDF

Ryan

The Fisher F22 is replacing the F2 and the F22 as well as F44 are weather resistant, so they can also be used in creeks, but can NOT be fully submerged like the AT Pro.

The minelab 305 is an easy to understand comparable detector to the F2. I have a buddy that is in his first year and he does well with the 305.

You will probably get 20 different answers, and most introductory detectors are turn on and go machines. You might also look at the ACE 300 or ACE 400.

Ryan,
Check which other Fisher machines are coil compatible with your new F75, look at one of those for Mom, then if you add coils in the future they can be used on both .
Check with some of the sponsors, sometimes they have used or demo machines at bargain prices.

Ryan,
Check which other Fisher machines are coil compatible with your new F75, look at one of those for Mom, then if you add coils in the future they can be used on both.

Thinking the same. Although I think I'd have to go with the F5 to get compatiblity.

Sad to see the F2 go. One of the greatest beginner detectors ever made for awhile there.

The Fisher F22 is replacing the F2 and the F22 as well as F44 are weather resistant, so they can also be used in creeks, but can NOT be fully submerged like the AT Pro.

The minelab 305 is an easy to understand comparable detector to the F2. I have a buddy that is in his first year and he does well with the 305.

You will probably get 20 different answers, and most introductory detectors are turn on and go machines. You might also look at the ACE 300 or ACE 400.

If the ace 3/400 are anything like the 250/350, I don't want a freakin ice cream truck swinging by me while I hunt :laughing:

I'll take a look into the 22.

Just get her the ATP. It's waterproof and the standard settings are basically your "beginner" options. As you detect more together she can use the pro mode and not outgrow the machine.

Just get her the ATP. It's waterproof and the standard settings are basically your "beginner" options. As you detect more together she can use the pro mode and not outgrow the machine.

+1

The AT Pro can be as simple or as complicated as one wants it to be.

She said she didn't want an AT Pro, right? She's comfortable with the F2? Got some hours on the F2? So get her an F2 and coils and other goodies. You're not being a cheapskate, you're getting her what she wants...

The F2 was discontinued but still available...check out Bart at Big Boys because he still shows them in stock.
The 2 coil package with the sniper coil and the craptacular F point pinpointer is still around in stock new from many dealers and still has worth in the marketplace...still has the 5 year warranty.

fisher_f2_pin_pointer_kit.jpg

The new F series line looks great but it will cost you some bucks if she is into using sniper coils which is what I found the most with using my F2.

Get her what she wants, it will give her pleasure for a long time.

The F2 was discontinued but still available... he still shows them in stock.
T.

Yeah we can still ship F2s, but why promote a soon to be discontinued item instead of the new machine that Fisher asked us to promote in it's place because they're discontinuing the F2. :)

I have a used F2 with the 8" coil and a F4 11" DD coil with it. (I have to dig around I thought I had the sniper coil with it too. I remodeled garage and it's nowhere to be found)
It has an issue with the coil connector spinning in the housing that needs to be fixed.
I saw a vid on how to fix it by removing the faceplate but there's risk of damaging the push keys. Or it can be sent in to Fisher to be fixed for $$.

I was going to keep it and loan it to newb friends on hunts but I've since bought another detector.

Send me a pm if you're interested in it cheap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom