Spectra vs e-Trac

JSVice

Hey all,

Been reading here for a while and I'm just looking for some feedback on what my next detector should be. I've owned a Garrett 350 for several years now, and while I can make finds with it, I'm not entirely happy. The tones tend to bounce around a bunch on me, making it difficult to know what I'm digging. I also find the depth reading almost useless. Detecting is just a fun hobby for me and my daughter, but it's not something I do on even a weekly basis. More just an excuse for some father/daughter time. I think she's getting a little tired of digging nails though, so I'm going to try an upgrade to see if I can get an improvement in discrimination.

I'm really trying to choose between the two above mentioned detectors. The 3030 is more than I want to spend. I'm interested in finding coins and maybe some Civil War relics, as there were a few battles in my neck of the woods. Gold isn't really something I'm looking for, or expecting to find. Also, I don't think my detector needs to necessarily be waterproof. No beaches around me, and I'm not going to wade into lakes or creeks. If it is, great, if not, fine. I'm mostly detecting on farmland, so I do encounter a bunch of iron, whether it be nails of various types or pieces of old machinery.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks for reading.

My thoughts are the V3i is for casual all-around hunting where as the E-Trac is more aimed at the serious deep coin hunter. Both are great detectors, but each excels in different areas.

The E-Trac takes a bit of learning because it really is more tone based even though an accurate target ID is another of its strong points. You can learn to know that tone on an E-Trac and a lot of times you end up cherry picking because it becomes so easy once you click.

The V3i is a more casual machine. It is at home hunting a tot lot, a relic field or just a good old hunt in the park. Much quicker to understand and use than the E-Trac, but mastering can take a bit longer because of all the options.

If I had to pick just one it would be the V3i. When I want to do some serious hunting for deep coins its my E-Trac I take to the site.

Good question,I've been wanting a v3i for some time now.The only thing that has stopped me was reading how hard it is to learn.I consider myself to catch on quick,but Somtimes the posts I read leave doubts.

Good question,I've been wanting a v3i for some time now.The only thing that has stopped me was reading how hard it is to learn.I consider myself to catch on quick,but Somtimes the posts I read leave doubts.

Am I correct in guessing that you already have an etrac? I saw it in your sig.

Mmmmmh, prolly get beat saying this,

disclaimer: feel very competent with the v3i, the Etrac, I just got this year, so I'm still learning it.

The ML, is easier to swing all day, for sure. My thoughts are the V3i seems to identify the iffy targets better, or at least I can read the info better. I dig less junk with the V3i. I have yet, believe it or not, hit a deep silver with the Etrac, so I can't speak of that. The info given on the screen and the the ability to read the v3i are much better. The pinpoint feature on the v3i, will show which frequency(s) are hitting the hardest, this has been to me highly accurate, and can reduce digging up false signals.

I think the stock coil on the v3i is less than desirable and would suggest an upgrade there, but feel the ML stock coil, tends to be better than most other stock coils.

First many people will say the v3I is not a turn on and go machine, this is not entirely accurate, once ground balanced. The problem is there are sooooo many user personalization possibilities, many people can't quit messing around.

I haven't used the V3i since I got the Etrac, as I am convinced there is more to it then what I'm seeing. But frankly every time I take it out, I wish I had the V3i in my hands. It's also hard to go from the v3i screen to the Etrac, screen. I also struggle with the 2number system, even hitting shallow clad the numbers can change a bit giving you two other things to watch. I just ordered Andy Sabisch on the Etrac to learn more.

I've owned both and prefer the Etrac hands down. Hits deep coins better (IMHO), more stable around EMI, better at picking good targets from iron junk, TID on deeper coins is waaay more accurate, and it's easier to learn to use at it's full potential. Again, all of that is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned both and prefer the Etrac hands down. Hits deep coins better (IMHO), more stable around EMI, better at picking good targets from iron junk, TID on deeper coins is waaay more accurate, and it's easier to learn to use at it's full potential. Again, all of that is just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2

I own both, I owned a V3i in the past, and ended up selling it because of the jumpy target ID. Ended up buying another one because that was the only flaw it had, and I was determined to figure it out. I did end up figuring it out, and the target ID is now just as accurate as the Etrac, even at depth, and it hits a little deeper.

My V3i has a 13" Ultimate on it, the Etrac sports a NEL 15" Attack coil. Etrac balance sucks, I have to use the Minelab harness with the etrac and that big coil. V3i balances perfect with the 13" ultimate and requires no harness.

The Etrac is no doubt a great machine, but with the crappy front heavy balance, and Minelab crazy repair prices... I'll stick to the V3i which is every bit as good, if not better.

The V3i has a lot of settings, but you basically just set them once for any given program, then all you adjust is the sensitivity when you turn it on.. then start hunting.

I'll be selling the Etrac soon.

Last edited:
For you

I would get a Etrac for coin hunting, and the F75 -- 599.00 special for relic , hunting, I have all 3 machines, hardly no hours on the V3i, love the etrac , and F75se , happy hunting earl

It appears choices ultimately boil down to personal preference. Not really a consensus, even among people who own both. Bottom line --- either one is going to beat the !!!! out of my Garrett 350, right? I mean, I hope so anyway

It appears choices ultimately boil down to personal preference. Not really a consensus, even among people who own both. Bottom line --- either one is going to beat the !!!! out of my Garrett 350, right? I mean, I hope so anyway

You will be leaps and bounds ahead of the 350 No mater which one you get. Check YouTube and watch people youse them, to help you decide.

Curious as to why this would be your recommendation over arguably the two best machines ever built? (3030 excluded since we know it's out of the running for the OP).

I was also curious about that, but I've pretty much decided it'll be one of the two I mentioned.

Something else to mention.

If history holds,,,V3i will be supported longer by its manufacturer-- if this is important to you.

Etrac will probably get you digging deeper coins sooner than V3i-- if this is important to you.

I have owned both an V3i and a E-Trac. I liked the V3i much better both are great machines but the V3i is better to swing all day and really more versatile. I no longer own either one, but the one I regret selling was the V3i.

Back
Top Bottom