Who looted

Surf Master

Forum Supporter
The state park battle field in VA :?: Not good for VA hunter's , as they left holes wide open in a State park national battle field , who's the idiot :roll:

Truly stupid...

And the REALLY bad part is we keep talking about it and now it's trending! This is at least the FIFTH thread I have seen on the topic on this forum alone...

Robby4570

Disagree, people that don't detect, never herd of this forum, your down in white sand, Va is close to me, nothing wrong with discussing a problem, which threatens our hobby, ONE bad apple is all it takes, no matter how many threads you see, regards :roll: Earl

Disagree, people that don't detect, never herd of this forum, your down in white sand, Va is close to me, nothing wrong with discussing a problem, which threatens our hobby, ONE bad apple is all it takes, no matter how many threads you see, regards :roll: Earl

True, but a Google search will bring up the posts on this forum (as with all others), so all who have never heard of us, will, if they want to know more about the hobby, and what that moron did. Not to mention all of Tom's tips on similar, less blatant, but related. Same tactics, same mindset. He's smart enough to not cross the line here, but I'm sure he gets the message across. Every time one of these types of stories hit the news, I think of Tom. Not so much, that he travel all the way out there for relics, but his teaching probably were a big help.

Back in the days when I was hunting (1970's thru 2001) we would hear of every now and then; someone who would get caught hunting on park land. Remember when a small group who where getting a motel room at a motel, and the motel's parking lot backed up to the National Battle Ground Park just east of Petersburg. It was said they would night hunt in the park and the Park Rangers one day found some of their dug holes and figured out what their game was. They were caught. Back in those days the word would be put out in the news media to make sure the public knew the parks where being watched over. I know of one area we had permission to hunt private property which backed up to National Park Land. The Park had a surveyor mark the property line by putting Property Line metal tags, stating on each tag that you were trespassing onto Park Property if you crossed the line. The tags where about every 20'. Even though the Land was in the middle of no where; we never would cross the line onto Park Property.

Acey

some times

Thing's must be discussed, as this threaten's the future of our hobby, 95 % in my opinion OBAY the laws, avoid protected sites, i was looking into the future , hoping that Federal & State lands open up, more to medal detector hobbyist, but thing's like this, set it way back, one bad apple , the looter's not even covering their tracks covering the holes, putting the plugs back, only high light's the drama, hope these looter's get caught, so it doesn't hinder our hobby, Earl

Yes! Just today, when I was out hunting, a guy came up and said "Have you ever been up to *XYZ* site? There's a historic fort up thre and I bet there's lots of stuff. I find pottery all the time!"

I said to him "Do you get permission?"
"Heck no! you don't need permission to do that!"
"Oh yes you DO! By New Mexico LAW you cannot detect or treasure hunt on public lands and you CANNOT pick up ANY artifact that is over fifty years old! Not coins, not pottery, not bones, not ranching or mining artifacts, nothing."
"How come you know the law so good?"
"I am an ethical detectorist. If I find someone in authority I can *ask* I may try XYZ Site, but not until."

It's *annoying* that New Mexico is such a *protective* state, but it makes good sense! We have Native American, Anasazi, old Spanish, Civil War, Victorian areas here. Santa Fe is the oldest capital city in America and was settled in 1610. Yes sixteen-ten. BEFORE America was America. Clovis points, which are considered the earliest stone artifacts are named after Clovis NM. This is an ANCIENT state and by being protective, the state is KEEPING her history safe.

The ONLY persons permitted to retrieve ancient finds from public land are archaeologists. I'd LOVE to get out thre and really boogie down... but no. I want to be part of the solution, NOT the problem.

SageGrouse

Disagree, people that don't detect, never herd (heArd) of this forum, your (you're) down in white sand, Va is close to me, nothing wrong with discussing a problem, which threatens our hobby, ONE bad apple is all it takes, no matter how many threads you see, regards :roll: Earl

Wrong Earl... The more threads there are out there, the more possibility of the wrong people seeing it. And it doesn't matter where anyone is, the Internet has put us all in the same neighborhood. The problem is that the folks that HATE all of us MD'ists DO KNOW about and READ these forums. They will take our words and twist them to their favor and use them against us.

I bet someone here knows the person(s) who did it, even if they don't know that the person did it

I will go as far as to say I know of certain individuals who are capable of doing this but cannot say they would be the ones. I no longer associate with them (over 20 years) due to their methods. There are sooooooo many hunters here in Va. but who's to say they are locals that committed this crime? My 2 cents.

Bad Detectorest

You know! They say that those guy's found artifacts, how do they know what they got if they haven't been caught yet. Could have set up to make us look bad.:?:

Last edited:
Not the 1st Time

I remember some years back, Petersburg Battlefield was hit by a relic hunter but in a different area of the park. This idiot maintained a written log with over 1,800 CW artifacts. He was eventually arrested by Park law enforcement personnel. I can't remember his name but in fact remember the guy. He lived in the Walnut Hill community which is very close to the various Petersburg battlefield sites that surround the city.

Having hunted over 30 years, I know many of the relic hunters in this area of Virginia. I would hate to think that someone I knew would hit a protected site. Sad folks!

You probably missed it. It was in every article I've read on the subject.

The very first article I read ...I can try to find it ...never mention the metal detector... now authors may have put that in the article afterwards as they built upon it... but original article I read never specifically said the words metal detector

Article Link in the next post

Back
Top Bottom