Couldn't do any Detecting but did unexpectedly find some Minerals /Gems...

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
I live in the land of no rocks. And being a lifelong rockhound, it's not often that I find some way to scratch the rockhunting itch.

It's been raining more or less here since Monday, we've had well over 8 inches of rain, and things have been flooding like mad. The up side to that is it washed the dust off everything that's been settling for the past 4 years of severe drought.

I stumbled on this little starving rockhound's dream, of all places, on a gravel road that we stopped on to check out a flooded out river crossing where I'm planning to do some detecting when things settle down. I am hoping that the flooding will get rid of some of the beer cans and make my job a little easier.

Anyway, while we were out there the sun came out for the first time in days and lit up that crushed rock on the road. I saw something shiny and pulled out a little chunk of iron pyrite. For those of you who aren't rockhounds, that's also known as Fools Gold. I kicked around a little more and found some more pieces, then a nice little chunk of matrix with a cube pyrite attached, and some tiny druzy looking pyrite. A little more looking and I found a piece of druzy quarts, some very dark brown/black colored crystalline rock that I can't identify, and one very tiny (about 1/8" square) piece of some gemstone that has almost an aquamarine shade of blue to it.

I'd sure like to know where they quarried that road rock, but probably will never know. I know there was a pretty neat variety of stuff in with it.

It wasn't detecting, but it was something... and after the week we've had with twisters and floods, it was a little worry-free fun. At least I can say I found something interesting this week!

Just wish the pics were better, but since the sun went and hid again that was the best I could do. Thanks for looking!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hey great finds! I am lucky to live in an area loaded with rocks and minerals. I like to hunt rocks too, it can be a distraction when I'm MDing..:yes:

Hey great finds! I am lucky to live in an area loaded with rocks and minerals. I like to hunt rocks too, it can be a distraction when I'm MDing..:yes:

I know what you mean, I did rock hunting in Colorado and, well, every place I've ever gone pretty much. The lack of rocks here in my area are kind of what pushed me over the edge into detecting since I seem to have some strange need to be out digging up something... Anything! :lol: If we had good gems here I can guarantee you my detecting finds would surely suffer!

Thanks Matt! I was so excited to see actual rocks I had my husband in stitches, he just stood there laughing and shaking his head....

Back
Top Bottom