Fixing the Excal

Kapi

Forum Supporter
For Christmas I purchased Itsaring a really nice solder gun that OBN suggested. Thanks OBN!

Pictured is the baby that I purchased for 540 on E-bay for 'parts'. It is in great working order but did have a few issues.

1. The O-Rings were in horrible shape. Itsaring and I replaced those ourselves thanks to OBN's guidance!

2. The knobs were broken or missing. We replaced those ourselves.

3. The power supply cord cut on and off when wiggled where it plugs into the battery. Thanks to Itsaring's awesome talent and with the help of the new solder gun, we were able to take apart the plug and found squished wires (Special thanks to Imalookin2 for instructions). Itsaring was able to cut the squished wires off and solder the good wires back to the unit and it now works great!

4. The battery case is cracked at the threads and I need a new battery in it so I would love to give one of the sponsors some money for a top notch new battery and the endcap for the battery case.

5. I purchased and put a Plugger shaft on it which I LOVE! It breaks down into three pieces for easy traveling. Check out RodsbyPlugger if you're in the market for a new rod.

She's been working great in testing out on the beach. Now to just get some sand to move. All surrounding counties including mine have major projects going on to pump sand onto the beaches to 'fix' what hurricane Matthew took away. Sad part is she piled up so much sand in most places that we don't need it but we do need the dunes rebuilt.

It's been a great year. Time will tell what next year will bring. Several beaches here are now closed due to the construction work until Spring! Maybe they will pump up something cool. We shall see!

Attachments

• fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 550
Nice work! My work was overseeing some of the pumping ops between Daytona and Jax. I been there quite a few days but every thing I found was fresh drops. Definitely slim Pickens.

Those battery pods crack from over tightening the plug. They crack around the contacts. Most of the time they do not leak. Unless you have a hole then I would just use it. Can you post a pic? Might be a cheap fix.

Those battery pods crack from over tightening the plug. They crack around the contacts. Most of the time they do not leak. Unless you have a hole then I would just use it. Can you post a pic? Might be a cheap fix.

Here's some pics :)

Attachments

• crack 1.jpg
    crack 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 446
  • crack 2.jpg
    crack 2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 338
  • crack 3.jpg
    crack 3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 410
It appears you have fed, burped and changed the baby and are ready to go to town! I liked her look when she was put up for adoption on the 'bay but I already have 4 Excals so I didn't fight too hard. I am glad she went to a good home.
All the best in the New Year!

Same set up

As I Kap, the battery pods , do not over tighten, OBN gave me a tube of lube, i put a little on the prongs , true up, not over tightening, water sealed, done, with the plugger set up, you will like the balance, i got a 6 inch extension between the cuff & machine, well balanced, no more head phone tug, i notice you have the blue headphones , just like my 1000, take care of them , as they are better than the if they go bad ML replaces with yellow phones, remember on the Excaliburs 2 weak points, # 1 were the head phones enter the machine, pulling or braking at that point occurs, and were the coil wire goes into the coil, no tugs , pulling in that area, as the coil and wire are all one part, if it breaks :shock: guess what say good buy to you nice 10 inch bbs coil, ML will replace it with a slim line 10 inch 300.00 , the last thing remember to clean between your coil cover & coil after every hunt, flush the machine down with fresh water, and i silicone the lines, longer life, remember down in Florida the water is 5 times saltier than up here, so baby that nice looking Blue, look's great , picked up a nice CTX 3030 today, as moving to the beach, that will be my go to low tide machine, along with the DF, in the water Blue 1000 & 800, enjoy the blue, for you i am going in the other room , for the ike light lube name Got it and found who sells it Magic Lube 11 by Aladdin https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...vtargid=kwd-8176293213&ref=pd_sl_7xoi4jde22_b HAPPY NEW YEAR & HAPPY HUNTING :D SURFS UP :yes:

Very nice setup! I'd say that ought to get you the gold but seems you could find gold with your machine turned off...:lol::lol::lol:

Here's some pics :)
Not too bad. Does it leak? I doubt it will. Try submerging the battery pod in water for a while. Put the ikelite on and fill the sink up and soak. Then take the battery apart. Look inside for water. While it is off mix up some marine epoxy and pour it on the end cap inside where the wires come through. You will see epoxy already, that is how they seal it. More epoxy never hurt. :laughing: Let it cure 24 hours before re-assembling.

Not too bad. Does it leak? I doubt it will. Try submerging the battery pod in water for a while. Put the ikelite on and fill the sink up and soak. Then take the battery apart. Look inside for water. While it is off mix up some marine epoxy and pour it on the end cap inside where the wires come through. You will see epoxy already, that is how they seal it. More epoxy never hurt. :laughing: Let it cure 24 hours before re-assembling.

Thanks for the advice, will try that.

Back
Top Bottom