2 or 3 Ringer? Age?

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
I don't know squat about old ammo.

I dug this bullet Sunday morning where a civil war muster was put on back in the day.

I've measured an large .600" plus on the O.D.

By looking at the lead's color and rings, I'm wondering how old it might be.

Attachments

• Ringer 1.JPG
    Ringer 1.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Ringer 2.JPG
    Ringer 2.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 179
It's either a .58 or .69 cal Minie ball. Very likely civil war era. They were not used too much passed the war between the states and it is a Yankee Round.

Well for sure CW, so it's over 150 yrs. old , and as my buddy Joe said either a 3 ring 58 or 69 cal. , myself looking at the shape I would go with a 58 cal. due to looking at the taper of it , your 69's would be much larger at the base , but this one looks pretty true from base to nose. Nice find and should be more around.

Thanks for the input guys!

I knew it was old, but Civil War era is awesome.

I have not dug lead that was this shade of color.

It rang up pretty high for lead.

Muster fields in New England were my go to when I lived in Keene NH. We got Rev,1812 and CW because traditionally they mustered out same place for all the pre Wwi wars at the same sites. Don't be surprised to find an 1812 button either. Gl

Well for sure CW, so it's over 150 yrs. old , and as my buddy Joe said either a 3 ring 58 or 69 cal. , myself looking at the shape I would go with a 58 cal. due to looking at the taper of it , your 69's would be much larger at the base , but this one looks pretty true from base to nose. Nice find and should be more around.

+1

I'm gong to say .58 caliber as well. Great find!!

I agree with MoBob... most likely a .58 caliber Minie; definitely Civil War. Great find. I would this area hard as there should be more CW relics there. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom