Check out this story from the Cold Harbor Battlefield

The Wolf

Elite Member
A super preserved complete crate of 1000 Minie Balls!

This guy is a legend in our area as one of the first to set foot on Cold Harbor soils with a detector. I've met him once and hunted his property with friends. He has a museum in his house, which he built in the 70s to look just like a period CW house.

Hope it's OK to post the link for all the CW enthusiasts here:

http://john-banks.blogspot.com/2014/04/fabulous-cold-harbor-find-1000-bullet.html?m=1

Hey Wolf I think the fellow you are talking about was already a legion back in the 1980's; when I first began hunting, for his finds on the Cold Harbor Battle field area. If I remember correctly he lived pretty close to a bridge along an original road. Part of the battle took place in back of his house. The bridge was the main road from the area where the whole Union Army was located in front of Richmond, to the Cold Harbor Battle Field. I never met him myself but one of my hunting buddies did. Jimmy told me the fellow said he put himself through college by selling articles he found. Think I remember he found a couple remains in his digging. Same fellow you think.

Acey

That's cool as heck. I had actually pulled up his website a few days ago and looked at some of the many buckles he had dug up. Soooo sweet! I did have an opportunity to hunt with him a few years back, but as fate would have it, I had to work :dash2:

Yeah, Acey. That's the same guy. His house is right at the battlefield around Grapevine bridge. There is a CW battle marker pretty much in his front yard.

Back
Top Bottom