Coins on ebay - question

kc_hhsl

Live in rural Coloradon out on the eastern plains.
Last edited:
I don't trust eBait myself, been burned on coins of lower value ($150 or less) and gave up. It's a total crapshoot.

I have never bought any of those "grab bag" deals. I would rather buy when I know what I'm getting, with clear photos, and with a seller who has good ratings. I got burned once with a guy who had some dimes with fuzzy pictures. When I got them, they looked like salt-water coins that had been cleaned (granular surface). He did refund my money, so I can't complain too much.

You can run a "Coins Wanted" ad here for free if you have enough posts, or simply peruse the Coins for Sale postings....Theres a lot of Members that have all sorts of authentic silver/gold coins...Not me, but theres some that do! :laughing:

Or buy local from a Coin store....Or find and attend your local Numismatic Club or event...buy them face to face with cash! Its a lot more fun and interactive...

I have posted on here before, no longer have the photos or the links, but if you Google fake Chinese silver dollars, you will be shocked! They are producing fakes by the truckloads, even down to dimes and pennies...I have a friend who bought $300 worth from eBay ...all fake. Some were capped bust trade dollars, some were Eisenhower dollars.. morgan dollars and all in between,only way you could tell was with a silver test or a good digital scale, they were slightly off on weight. But he had me fooled for a few minutes too, just holding and looking at them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As the old saying goes "If it looks too good to be true, It probably is"

I shop eBay a lot. the first thing I look at is the photo of the item being sold. If it doesn't specify that the item in the picture is the item you receive, I'm probably not buying it. Then I look at their feedback. If they don't have 100%, I'm probably not buying.

Lots of fakes out there, they even make them out of silver so testing for silver won't tell you anything. Why not use 5 bucks worth of silver if you are faking something that is potentially worth in the 100's...

Ive bought a couple rolls of wheats and its mostly 40's and 50's with one teen, two 20's, three 30's :laughing: and that was the end of that :lol:

Ive bought a couple rolls of wheats and its mostly 40's and 50's with one teen, two 20's, three 30's :laughing: and that was the end of that :lol:

I have a bag of wheaties for ya 👍. Some I found in pocket change but almost all were dug and ringed off to verify a wheat . Uncleaned and not searched or sorted . I save em but have no clue what to do with them . If you enjoy going threw them make me an offer . There are others on here I know of that just throw them in a jar like me and never give them a second look with the intention of going threw them some day . They are dug coins but you get some older ones that may not have been in circulation long and who knows maybe there is a few special ones . Same goes for silver coins . Ya there from the ground but if your just trying to fill in dates and mint marks and enjoy them why bother with 50 bucks a pop to get them slabbed and graded. Unless you are more experienced with a better eye then a coin shop guy who has been doing it for the last 40 years it's hard to come out ahead buying colectables . Build a nice collection if all the folks in china and India suddenly get into the coin collecting hobbies your modest collection will be worth a fortune 😎 Until then , silver and copper and gold is real money . You may not become rich but it will always be worth more than the crappy old tin money and !!!! zink !!!! of today .
I'm more of a silver bug and not much of a collector . I would sell my semi key and key dates or older coins with a reasonable offer . I'm sure others would also . Some will never sell anything they find . I haven't been doing this a long time so I don't have a 5 gallon bucket full but if someone apreaciates the coins more then I and enjoys the collecting side a little more I'd let go of the better ones . The rest is just junk silver or end of the world money .
Let folks know what your looking for . I'll bet you can get more bang for the buck and make a few friends along the way . Remember there may be dealers and folks just trying to make a fast buck on here also but the majority are just average joes who enjoy finding the stuff. The pool here is full of good people .
HH ,Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom