my 2nd 1853 silver from the same park!!!

bobac

Elite Member
been combing this "dead" park over a few times this summer.....sifting thru the surface junk.....I was shocked to find a 3 cent piece a few weeks back, so I was holding on to some high hopes thinkin there could still be something here......well, it was just after 10 last night when I finally got a 9 inch 12-45 on the tired and beat up old CTX....I dug down to 7 and stuck the pinpointer in and was thinkin it should be deeper, but I hit and cleared the dirt to expose a large silvery surface......I saw seated lady and was just flabbergasted !!!!!!:?:

I've only had time to hunt about 3 hours in the last ten days or so......Can NOT believe I scored another big old silver........
thank you lord , thank you lord, thank you lord.........

She'd be a spectacular grade coin if some bonehead hadn't put a hole in it....
I wonder how much a hole devalues these 1800s coins ???

theres stuff out there....get out and dig em......

Happy hunting everyone.......

Attachments

• 20170718_081344 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    20170718_081344 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 581
  • 20170718_081433 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    20170718_081433 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 553
  • 20170718_081247(1)BBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    20170718_081247(1)BBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 574
  • 20170718_081212 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    20170718_081212 BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 546
Holy !!!! such an awesome find! The hole will detract it from monetary value but bump it up in historical and character value! Awesome find on a BIG OLD silver coin!

That's a square hole, made by some 19th century bonehead!

Congrats on the great find!

Almost nothing better then big old silver!

Shame they punched a hole, apparently with a square nail through it, else it would likely be around a $300 coin.

Congrats!
Brian

That's a helluva coin Bobac. Rays and arrows Seated half? How's that CTX working out? I'm loving mine,even with the skunker days. If it's there,it will find it,I'm quite sure of that most of the time...;)

Ctx

That's a helluva coin Bobac. Rays and arrows Seated half? How's that CTX working out? I'm loving mine,even with the skunker days. If it's there,it will find it,I'm quite sure of that most of the time...;)

Still loving the ctx......I had to send her out for screen repair, and I feel like she has not been the same since......I also have a slight feeling the rechargeable battery might be getting tired.......my last two outings were with the alkaline pack . but I have yet to do a side by side comparison ......just not enough time in the day........
I ran my machine numerous times in January and several hunts in the rain this year.....its seen a good amount of abuse from me.......
Its still managing to sniff out 8-9 inch targets .....

Pendant?

Nice find! I will guess that the hole was a bonehead attempt at making this coin into a pendant. Then, it was carelessly lost because it then had less value, or was actually worn as a pendant...on a "necklace" that was made by the same bonehead. So, the hole may be part of the story of why you found it in the ground. Just a thought...

Nice find! I will guess that the hole was a bonehead attempt at making this coin into a pendant. Then, it was carelessly lost because it then had less value, or was actually worn as a pendant...on a "necklace" that was made by the same bonehead. So, the hole may be part of the story of why you found it in the ground. Just a thought...

It was just 50 cents back then. Punch a hole in it, it's still 50 cents.
The dirty pics had me thinking counterfeit at first.

I think, in the 1850's, this coin was literally and figuratively "a nice chunk of change!" Probably a day's wages, give or take. Now, my imagination takes me to the local 1850's general store, where the crabby merchant lady had her bun in too tight that day, and refused the poor bonehead's damaged dinero. No sack of wheat today! ...and the story goes on...
Now see what you did, Bobac, posting this oddity? :?:

50 cents ??

The dirty pics had me thinking counterfeit at first.

Actually 50 cents then was equal to 15 bucks today !!! I was guessing it would have been like 40 or 50 bucks, but I was off a bit......

If I recall correctly, 53 was the first year of the silver weight reduction in our coins.....I wonder if someone thought less of it , thus the carelessness....:roll:

I'll cherish it way more than that guy did.......;)

Back
Top Bottom