Hori Hori

mr_whipple

Does anyone have experience with this particular model?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA5TFCZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Decided to try one out to complement the ground shark. Frequently I end up with a bullet or other that's deeper than the plug (T2 Classic runs deep on civil war bullets), and impatient me will use the ground shark to scrape the patina off of a bullet or leave a nice gash right down the side. Since it's a straight blade vice a digger with a 90 below the handle I'm thinking it'll be less hassle in the small diameter holes I dig.

If it doesn't work out in the woods, it'll surely help around the flower beds and pepper plants.

Thanks in advance!

I have one but I quit using it because I detect at a lot of tot lot areas, I just use the 31 Sampson. The Hori Hori is a rugged digger.

I just bought one of these thinking it would be a handy tool for cutting plugs in Bermuda grass. I'm not impressed, the thing is duller than a butter knife. At least it comes with a little sharpening file, which I have not had a chance to use on mine yet.

I think the Lesche is a far better deal.

I'm not impressed, the thing is duller than a butter knife.

Ya know, I've often considered putting an old table knife in my finds bag for fishing around in the bottom of holes!

Well I guess I'll just have to see for myself. Apparently I got lucky with Amazon this time. Selected the slowest free shipping, but somehow its getting delivered tomorrow before 8 PM. Yahtzee!

I had one for over a year. It actually came razor sharp. It cuts a nice plug in areas that I don't want to dig big holes. I doubt you could break it unless you go out of your way to try. Also it holds an edge quite well depending on the ground your digging in. I'd buy it again, you'll like it.

Ya know, I've often considered putting an old table knife in my finds bag for fishing around in the bottom of holes!

Well I guess I'll just have to see for myself. Apparently I got lucky with Amazon this time. Selected the slowest free shipping, but somehow its getting delivered tomorrow before 8 PM. Yahtzee!

:laughing: If you want a butter knife this one might do... Seriously though, mine got here super fast also, and until I actually sharpen it I won't say I hate it... I just don't like it so far. I Just hope yours comes to you already sharp!

I have one. I hunted for over thirty years with a 3-in-1 knife which is almost identical to the Hori-Hori knife. I finally retired it because it was getting to short from years of sharpening. I put it through abuse that would break any other knife. I bought my current one because it has a guard on it. Not all of them do and still work great. I have actually pounded them into rock hard clay. To cut a plug I just push it into the ground and rock it back and forth. I tried a Lesche and it felt to me like it was going to break. I have never had that feeling with a Hori-Hori. You can find them on Amazon for around $15.00, the best buy you will ever make. I carry it behind my Mini-18 as seen in this picture with my old 3-in-1 knife. Like the Sampson, it is hardly noticeable. A police officer saw it when I was getting things out of my trunk. He said I thought that was a pretty big knife but I see what you are doing. He wished me luck and went on his way.
Carry2.jpg

Last edited:
I've never tried a lesche digger, but again don't want something with a bend under the handle. I'm sure they're sturdy, my 36" ground shark is insanely solid and able to do things that would make lesser shovels cry. That and for the most part I'm not going to be cutting plugs with it, just digging in the bottom of holes.

I do like the looks of that mini 18 and the belt hook. That may be something I try in the future.

This is the one I have. The snap strap broke early on it, I pulled it in two when I went to snap it up. Other than that ,it is a great digger. I use a home made jobber I welded from scrap at work. It works as well for extracting a target out of a hole.DSC03189.JPG

What material did you make that out of? it looks like the high temp aluminum paint I use at work.

Aluminum. I can pound it in the side of a hole with my sampson shovel and pry clumps of dirt out and it hasn't distorted or warped from the abuse.

This is the one I have. The snap strap broke early on it, I pulled it in two when I went to snap it up.

This is the sheath that I made for my digger. It is simple to make and open so the dirt doesn't collect in it. The digger in the picture is one a friend made but it fits about all of my diggers. I use it with my Hori-Hori the most.
HHs2.jpg
HHS3.jpg

Holy cow is this thing substantial! You could probably take over a small country with one of these!!!

I've tried taking a bunch of pictures but can't seem to get it right. The pics on Amazon are as good as anything I'll do. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Seriously sharp (BBsGal.. looks like no butter knife for me! :cool: ) and I just can't see bending or otherwise doing any damage to this thing without going into something far far outside of normal. The stitching on the sheath is a bit suspect, but overall it appears to be set up to hold the digger and avoid to sharp edges from cutting the stitching or sheath itself.

We'll give it a work out I'm sure, but not until the heat / humidity breaks.

Holy cow is this thing substantial! You could probably take over a small country with one of these!!!

I've tried taking a bunch of pictures but can't seem to get it right. The pics on Amazon are as good as anything I'll do. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Seriously sharp (BBsGal.. looks like no butter knife for me! :cool: ) and I just can't see bending or otherwise doing any damage to this thing without going into something far far outside of normal. The stitching on the sheath is a bit suspect, but overall it appears to be set up to hold the digger and avoid to sharp edges from cutting the stitching or sheath itself.

We'll give it a work out I'm sure, but not until the heat / humidity breaks.
The sheath collects mud as Silversmith stated. The knife is rugged. I paid $15 for the one I have, it is a little crude in finish but what should you expect for $15 ?I almost want to balance it for a throwing knife purposes but I can't think of why I would ever need it to be balanced to throw ? Sometimes I should think of better things to do.:laughing:

I certainly don't want anyone throwing this thing at me. :shock:

I like the open end sheath. We'll see how it goes in the woods before making that change.

I certainly don't want anyone throwing this thing at me. :shock:

I like the open end sheath. We'll see how it goes in the woods before making that change.
Just use your shovel and scrape the mud off from the blade before putting it back in the sheath.

Back
Top Bottom