I need a RULING !!

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
Ok so went out this morning for a Quick 2 hour hunt with fellow member ChrisCo.. was sort of last minute thing.

Anyways hit a middle school and cleaned up on Clad and found a cool Scout Slide.. My second this week.

Chris had to leave so I hunted about 15 more minutes and went over to my Go to spot at the State Park and tooled around for a little.

Got a really weird signal between a Copper penny and a Dime and jumping back and forth.

Well it wasn't too deep so I figured what the heck.. after all I came to Dig.

I popped the plug and put in the pin pointer and got NOTHING.. So I swung the coil around and Still NOTHING .. Silent.

I was like what the H-E Double toothpick, and replaced my plug and cleaned up.

Well putting my Blade back in my Sheath I see a chunk of Dirt stuck to it and
a Mercury looking back up at me. I was like "WHAT :?: no way :shock:
well I cleaned it off and wasn't your average merc.. Some one had made a Pendant out of it.

So WHAT I need a RULING on is ...

Does this Add to my COIN Count..
Or
Does this add to my SILVER JEWELRY Count?

Either way I was very happy with it as it is Unusual to say the least.. Some one also actually did a Very good job of carving it out.

On a Side note:
This last week went in 2's for me and this just added to it.

I ended the week with 2 Scout Slides and 2 Mercury dimes (sort of)

and Both (2) of the Mercury's are the same Date 1944

HH and thanks for looking

Attachments

• Pendant.jpg
    Pendant.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 358
  • Haul.jpg
    Haul.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 359
  • Both Mercs.jpg
    Both Mercs.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 347
I'd say, Yes, it adds to Silver count.
Should also add to jewelry and coin count.

Nice piece and interesting how the signal disappeared since it was stuck to your digger.

I'd rule it for myself if I had found it as a silver find, but not a coin find. Truth be told, this was your awesome find and you should feel free to add it to whichever column you choose! It is a incredible find regardless, well done!

That's a very cool find! It could go either way but personally I would tag it as a silver find. Glad the dirt on the digger held onto it long enough for you to see it.

Congrats on the finds! :woot: I would say it should count as both, after all it is a coin, but it also is a piece of jewelry. :clap:

Wow, I think you get to count it as a silver coin and as silver jewelry.

That is one of the coolest finds I've seen here. Can you imagine the amount of work that someone put into making that. Probably made for someone special with some special significance. Probably a real bummer when it was lost too.

Thanks for sharing.

Silver coin for sure, theres more than 50% of the coin. My opinion anyway :laughing: congrats!

Thanks ALL !!

I think I have to agree with CD

I weighed it ..
2.49 for a Full mercury and exactly 1.49 for my pendant.. so yes
roughly 60% of the Original Coin.

I am betting though that it is probably worth more as a pendant than the melt or even "un-cut", not that I would sell it.

I do not count coins-made-into jewelry, as "coins". I count them as "jewelry". Since they needn't necessarily have been lost during the time of the date of the coin. Hence a different strategy, a different provenance, etc....

This debate has come up before when someone finds a gold coin mounted in a bezzle (like at the beach, or modern sandbox, etc...). And they announce that they "found a gold coin".

But I would count that as jewelry, not a coin. For purposes of strategy involved (old coin hunting vs "getting lucky in a modern area", or whatever)

Ok so went out this morning for a Quick 2 hour hunt with fellow member ChrisCo.. was sort of last minute thing.

Anyways hit a middle school and cleaned up on Clad and found a cool Scout Slide.. My second this week.

Chris had to leave so I hunted about 15 more minutes and went over to my Go to spot at the State Park and tooled around for a little.

Got a really weird signal between a Copper penny and a Dime and jumping back and forth.

Well it wasn't too deep so I figured what the heck.. after all I came to Dig.

I popped the plug and put in the pin pointer and got NOTHING.. So I swung the coil around and Still NOTHING .. Silent.

I was like what the H-E Double toothpick, and replaced my plug and cleaned up.

Well putting my Blade back in my Sheath I see a chunk of Dirt stuck to it and
a Mercury looking back up at me. I was like "WHAT :?: no way :shock:
well I cleaned it off and wasn't your average merc.. Some one had made a Pendant out of it.

So WHAT I need a RULING on is ...

Does this Add to my COIN Count..
Or
Does this add to my SILVER JEWELRY Count?

Either way I was very happy with it as it is Unusual to say the least.. Some one also actually did a Very good job of carving it out.

On a Side note:
This last week went in 2's for me and this just added to it.

I ended the week with 2 Scout Slides and 2 Mercury dimes (sort of)

and Both (2) of the Mercury's are the same Date 1944

HH and thanks for looking

How mad would u be if it was a key date merc? :shock:

Back
Top Bottom