First Outing - Don't Laugh

Chris Crawford

I've been researching metal detectors for a while, and one of my co-workers told me that he an ACE 350. He said that he hadn't used it for a couple of years and that I was welcome to borrow it.

It was a beautiful day here in NE Mississippi this past weekend, so on Saturday afternoon my 14 year old son and I took the detector out to my in-laws old home place. On our way, we stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a cheep pinpointer. (Yea, I know...)

We had no idea how to use the detector other than some instructional YouTube videos that I'm guessing probably came with the unit on a DVD or something when it was new. Needless to say, we didn't really know what we were doing.

At first we were getting all kinds of beeps and tried to dig up whatever might have been making it go off. However, we weren't finding anything. But then we finally found our first object. It was a can tab, but you would think we had found gold. We were so glad and encouraged just to find something!

As we got more familiar with the unit we started having better results. After hitting on what appeared to be a target, we would turn the sensitivity as far down as we could and still get a response. This helped us better pinpoint the target before digging, and it greatly increased our finds.

One of our goals was to find a coin, and we ended up finding a 1984 penny. Nothing special at all, but it was a victory because it was a coin found. I also considered all of the other findings a victory as well, even the trash.

I don't know how many times after I said that we needed to be going that my son would say "just one more", and I would easily give in. I believe we are both hooked. The best find of all was hanging out with my boy and doing something exciting together.

So with all of that said, here are some of the things we found.
- A few can tabs
- An old garden hose connector made of brass
- Something with a small knob that looks like part of a latch
- Something small and shiny that looks like part of a watch clasp
- The 1984 penny
- A piece of a car emblem that has "Ford" on the back
- An old ring that looks like it was part of a horse or mule rig
- And an old band that might have come off an old wooden bucket or barrel

The interesting thing about the old band is that it's circumference is greater on one edge than the other. This is what makes me think it went around something that was tapered like a bucket or barrel.

Attachments

• Finds_2018-11-17.jpg
    Finds_2018-11-17.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 344
Congrats on your first finds!! The good news is it keeps getting better and better and funner(?) and funner(?) especially when a son or daughter joins in on the hunt. Keep putting in the time and the "good" stuff will start popping out of the ground in no time. Most importantly, keep the kids in the hunt!! Good luck on you next hunt!!!

Loved your Post Noob!! Well structured and with pics! I aint laughing at all! I'm impressed actually! ..You are hitting the right targets! Very well done! Great hunt and finds!

Congrats on your first hunt, and finds!!! Amazing how good a penny feels when it's your first coin dug!!! Wait until it's a wheat penny, and/or silver. The addiction is setting in my friend. Good luck on y'alls next hunt!!!

That ace 300 should work ok once you get the hang of it. A good target will beep in both swing directions. Round coils pinpoint better than double d's.
Happy detsecting!

Nothing to laugh about at all, that's the reality of the hobby. Its not always treasure. Its takes knowledge, persistence, dedication and many other ingredients to be successful. Keep up the good work!

Your right it is a lot of fun when your kid's are along, had my 13 yr old son out yesterday. He's just starting in the hobby. Those are pretty good finds for the first time out. Keep at it, lot's of good dig's to come.

Thank you for sharing your story! What a fun hunt - and much better than my first one! Congrats to you and your son on the time spent together, the memories you made, and all of your neat finds. :thumbsup:

Royal Congrats on your first hunt and finds! Get that penny into a flip so that you do not lose it. In years to come, it will remind you of the fun you both had that day! And your first hunt beats KT's first effort...only rusty nails around the Castle. :laughing:

Have patience, it will take several hunts before you really know your machine...but once you do, hit some totlots to pick up some battery money!:D

I think that you actually found something good, the metal band looks like the metal bands that hold together the wooden hub of those old time wagon wheels. Do a search for wooden hub wagon wheel and you will see. If that s true then that’s a good find!

Now you've done it.
I started out the same way, with a borrowed detector, virtually no knowledge of what I was doing and no real expectations of what I would or could find. Now 18 months later , I have "invested " a significant sum of money on a Equinox 800, a Garrett Propointer , 2 Lesche hand diggers, and a lot of gasoline as I drive around the area looking for detecting spots. I have new found appreciation for the history of my town and another reason to get off the couch (or quit work early). I have found a few hundred crusty pennies,a couple of cool tokens, 40 or so wheat pennies, 5 silver dimes, 4 silver rings and 1 gold ring. I have a small treasure chest I am filling with dug clad coins that I may never even turn in. I have also unearthed and kept a bunch of assorted stuff most people would throw away ranging from keys, to dog tags to hot wheels cars and broken toy guns.
To me this hobby has been rewarding way beyond the value of what I dig up. Hopefully you will find it just as rewarding.

Sorry, but I laughed. :lol: First dug target: can tab. Somehow, that is hilarious. Reminds me of the time a buddy of mine went ice fishing in Canada. When the fishing guides asked him what he caught, and he said he caught "a perch", they just roared laughing! He never did figure out what was so funny, though. :laughing:
Pull tabs, can tabs, stay tabs, racetrack tabs, square tabs, beaver tail tabs, ring pulls; they make good practice, and their abundance is the reason many good targets, like rings, are still in the dirt.
Good report Sir. Great write-up, family oriented, excellent photos, and a cool barrel hoop thingy!

Congrats on your first finds, Chris!!

Isn't it funny how exciting small change is, with a detector!

My first finds were a penny, a dime, a glasses arm, and 3 pieces of trash. I spent an hour chipping through solid tot-lot bark to get to them... and I was absolutely hooked.

I found my first silver ring 2 weeks into the hobby, and my first gold one 4 weeks in.

My rig? Ace350. It's a fantastic machine! I pulled 13 gold rings, the first year, before I traded up to an AT Pro. I sold the first 4 to get an ACE250 and a pinpointer for my son... Best decision I ever made. We seriously bonded... He's my best bud, still.

Best of luck to you!

Congrats on your first hunt finds. You are doing fine. It'll all come together with more hunting time and experience. Try to find a site like a tot lot or sports stadium where coin losses are common. GL & HH. Enjoy the time with your son.

Nice first outing! My first time out was in a fresh water lake with a P.I detector, I found.28c and LOTS of trash, spark plug, tire iron, pony clamp, and tons of bottle caps.But I enjoyed it enough to try again, picked up a machine that would allow me to disc out that unwanted trash and ended up finding 4 gold pieces and about 6 or 7 sterling pieces in that same spot. I hope you continue to enjoy your new hobby, the time spent with your son is priceless! HH!

No way would I ever laugh at your finds. We all stated digging everything so that we could learn.

Practice, Practice, Practice. The more you dig the better you will become as you become familiar with what your machine is telling you.

I started later in life and purchased a fairly expensive machine to start. It gives tones for different targets and I was so frustrated that I wanted to find a tree to wrap it around but in time I started to learn its language.

I love digging anything of value. Neat thing about this hobby is that each of us can hunt for what is valuable to us. Some bunt for coins and jewelry and some hunt for relics. To each his own.

Time spent with your son is more valuable than the most expensive diamond ring that you will ever find.

Welcome to the addiction.

I've been researching metal detectors for a while, and one of my co-workers told me that he an ACE 350. He said that he hadn't used it for a couple of years and that I was welcome to borrow it.

It was a beautiful day here in NE Mississippi this past weekend, so on Saturday afternoon my 14 year old son and I took the detector out to my in-laws old home place. On our way, we stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up a cheep pinpointer. (Yea, I know...)

We had no idea how to use the detector other than some instructional YouTube videos that I'm guessing probably came with the unit on a DVD or something when it was new. Needless to say, we didn't really know what we were doing.

At first we were getting all kinds of beeps and tried to dig up whatever might have been making it go off. However, we weren't finding anything. But then we finally found our first object. It was a can tab, but you would think we had found gold. We were so glad and encouraged just to find something!

As we got more familiar with the unit we started having better results. After hitting on what appeared to be a target, we would turn the sensitivity as far down as we could and still get a response. This helped us better pinpoint the target before digging, and it greatly increased our finds.

One of our goals was to find a coin, and we ended up finding a 1984 penny. Nothing special at all, but it was a victory because it was a coin found. I also considered all of the other findings a victory as well, even the trash.

I don't know how many times after I said that we needed to be going that my son would say "just one more", and I would easily give in. I believe we are both hooked. The best find of all was hanging out with my boy and doing something exciting together.

So with all of that said, here are some of the things we found.
- A few can tabs
- An old garden hose connector made of brass
- Something with a small knob that looks like part of a latch
- Something small and shiny that looks like part of a watch clasp
- The 1984 penny
- A piece of a car emblem that has "Ford" on the back
- An old ring that looks like it was part of a horse or mule rig
- And an old band that might have come off an old wooden bucket or barrel

The interesting thing about the old band is that it's circumference is greater on one edge than the other. This is what makes me think it went around something that was tapered like a bucket or barrel.
Actually those are some pretty good finds for the first time out. The fact that you were playing with the settings on the detector to get a better signal shows the videos are paying off. It also looks like this Saturday will be just like last Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom