Corroded coins

Albert

Forum Supporter
Wanted to ask what you do with all the bent , worn , corroded coins you find. Especially pennies. Is there a place where you can cash them or do you just throw them alway. Thanks

Wanted to ask what you do with all the bent , worn , corroded coins you find. Especially pennies. Is there a place where you can cash them or do you just throw them alway. Thanks

Depending on the amount of damage, banks and merchants will accept or not at thier own discretion. Many people on here buy a tumbler machine to clean thier clad coins before taking them in to cash out. Otherwise there is a program for badly mutilated coins to get cashed in through the us mint, which would include pressed penny, melted or fused together coins.

I flatten out the bent Q's and D's of course...drop them on the garage floor and give them a few whacks with a hammer..then I run them through the Coinstar..the corroded rotten zinc pennies? I used to keep them in a coffee can for some reason, thinking maybe I'll be doing a cement pour someday an use them as a binder...but now I just throw them out in my yard or up on the roof to keep the moss from growing....like some sort of little ablative...

I just throw mine in a plastic container. They make a good paperweight.:newidea:

Attachments

• DSCN2260.jpg
    DSCN2260.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 193
I just throw mine in a plastic container. They make a good paperweight.:newidea:
I just keep them too. I have a wooden box that I keep almost everything I find, bent or not. But then I don't spend as much time at it and I don't find as much as some people do. Not enough to make it worth cashing it all in. It is just a hobby for me, one of several. So I just put it all in a wooden box and on rainy days I go through it all and look at them, wondering what happened to them.

I flatten quarters and use them in the self serve car wash. All the others go in the bucket. I need to look into how to cash my bucket of mangled coins into the mint.

corroded coins

so I'm guessing that i'll have to do a search on google to find out if the U.S. Mint will take the mangled coins. Sounds good . I'll let you all know how it goes . Thanks

Unless something has changed.... I had heard that they stopped accepting them at some point. (all had to be same denomination)

corroded coins

I found the answer but the expense of shipping might not be worth it. the address to ship your coins is : United States Mint ATT: Coin Redemption Section Po Box 400 ( for post office shipments only) 151 N. Independence Mall East Philadelphia , Pa. 19106 . Now the good or bad news is that there is a minimum of 1lb per denomination and they have to be separated. In other words pennies only, dimes only, etc. Here are the rates that the Mint will pay for your lb of coins. pennies $1.46 per lb. nickels $4.54 per lb . Clad dimes , quarters, halves $20.00. I hope I understood this information correctly . If not , you can find the same info . on google . Sorry for any errors that I may have made. Thanks

I found the answer but the expense of shipping might not be worth it. the address to ship your coins is : United States Mint ATT: Coin Redemption Section Po Box 400 ( for post office shipments only) 151 N. Independence Mall East Philadelphia , Pa. 19106 . Now the good or bad news is that there is a minimum of 1lb per denomination and they have to be separated. In other words pennies only, dimes only, etc. Here are the rates that the Mint will pay for your lb of coins. pennies $1.46 per lb. nickels $4.54 per lb . Clad dimes , quarters, halves $20.00. I hope I understood this information correctly . If not , you can find the same info . on google . Sorry for any errors that I may have made. Thanks

well quick math

5 grams per nickel
28 grams per ounce
16 Ounce per Pound

(28/5) * 16 = 89.6 nickles (90 rounded) 90*.05 = $4.50
so pretty dang close

Also the coins have to be clean and easily identifiable. Not worth the effort for the small return after cleaning, packing shipping to send Pennies to the mint.

Bent coins get straightened out in a vice. Lightly corroded ones get spent over the counter. Those that are corroded too badly get put in a ziplock bag

I hammer the bent ones flat with a rubber mallet on the garage floor and roll them with the rest of my coins after I tumble them. Then turn them in at the bank. Quarters, dimes and nickels only. Pennies I take in bags to a Coinstar. I also tumble my pennies for a short time before I go to the Coinstar. The ones that are rejected I leave in the tray for whomever wants them. The receipt from the Coinstar is turned in for batteries for my detector.

I saved enough crusty zincolins to fill up a 2 liter bottle. Now I throw them away. Still not sure why I've kept a 2 liter bottle full of them.

Attachments

• 20180501_194633_resized.jpg
    20180501_194633_resized.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom