Cleaning 1940 whiskey bottles

Chipk

Elite Member
I recently hunted the yard of a sweet little widow who had turned 100 a few days before. I found a number of pieces of broken whiskey bottles but found 2 complete 1940 bottles because the caps were still on them. One even had some very old whiskey inside.

When I showed her the bottles she was shocked. It seems she had no idea her late husband drank!!!

Anyway I have cleaned them but there is a white chalky residue inside and I’d like to remove it. Any suggestions?

I recently hunted the yard of a sweet little widow who had turned 100 a few days before. I found a number of pieces of broken whiskey bottles but found 2 complete 1940 bottles because the caps were still on them. One even had some very old whiskey inside.

When I showed her the bottles she was shocked. It seems she had no idea her late husband drank!!!

Anyway I have cleaned them but there is a white chalky residue inside and I’d like to remove it. Any suggestions?

Great story .. funny how the Skeletons can come out of the closet YEARS later.

Maybe try some CLR?

A couple. Get some pea gravel, put in bottle along with water. Shake.

Try vinegar and rice and shake

Last try vinegar, let it soak for a while add sand and shake.

One should work fine

One should work fine

Added to the above advice, a small brush inside helps. If something stronger is needed, wood bleach mixed with some water, but be careful using it.

I used a brush with papertowels wrapped around it. Then I flood it with my house and add a little soap.

Those whiskey bottles make great terrariums! I made some using 40's/50's whiskey bottles.

I used a brush with papertowels wrapped around it. Then I flood it with my house and add a little soap.

Those whiskey bottles make great terrariums! I made some using 40's/50's whiskey bottles.

:laughing::laughing: You flood the bottle and your house? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Does that clean out your house also?

Ok I am over it. I think you meant to say you flood the bottle with your hose!

One should work fine

This but use coarse salt instead of sand or gravel so as not to scratch the glass which could lead to breakage down the road.

Back
Top Bottom