Etrac or NOX 800?

gldndrms

I am currently using an AT Pro and I really like it.
A buddy uses an Etrac and he has let me use it a couple of times. A while ago I decided that I want to upgrade to one. I have been saving money for that upgrade.

Now with all the hype of the NOX 800 I am wondering if that is a better upgrade.

So my question is should I continue to save toward an Etrac or should I go for a NOX 800? :?:

I should mention that I am a land hunter. Mainly searching old parks and houses.

I'd get the etrac seeming you already have the at pro..Never owned a nox,im sure it's good..But I'm totally sure that etrac is a coin king,from my experience with it.

Nox

Ran the E-trac's had 2, have the CTX3030s, and a NOX 800, the Etracs do well, however they are slow, the CTX3030s are faster, but not as fast as the NOX, the CTX3030s give you more info on target IDs, and mutable target's, GPS- but it's a 2500 dollar machine, i would go with the new technology, less money big bang for the buck, i like my Equinox, but i will let you decide - all 3 are nice machine's , Earl

A buddy uses an Etrac and he has let me use it a couple of times. A while ago I decided that I want to upgrade to one. I have been saving money for that upgrade.

Now with all the hype of the NOX 800 I am wondering if that is a better upgrade.

So my question is should I continue to save toward an Etrac or should I go for a NOX 800? :?:

E-trac has a lot of aftermarket coils that are readily available. You can can get up to a 21" coil to gain some serious depth, or go small with a sniper coil to hunt around metal stanchions and similar objects. The FBS tech works amazing and handles mineralized soil like a champ. Its a proven workhorse. Downside is it in not waterproof so gotta be careful in the rain and definately not going in rivers or lakes. It is also slow compared to the AT-P, CTX and many claim much slower than the NOX. It weighs noticeably more than the NOX too. So you'll fatigue faster swinging it.

The NOX is lightweight and claims to be very fast. I've only used it briefly, and I have to admit it "seems" noticeably faster than the Etrac. It is waterproof too and heck, ML has plans for the 15" coil, but it isn't out yet and could take years.

If your main interest is silver coins then the Etrac is hard to beat. I haven't owned a Nox but I had an AT Pro for awhile. The Etrac is WAY better for my soil and what I hunt for. I was a little worried before getting the Etrac because people said it was slow. Maybe it is slower but not enough to worry about for me. I don't swing slow at all (maybe in trash) and my silver coin count has at least quadrupled with the Etrac. But if you are mostly hunting in iron you may want the Nox or Deus.

E-trac has a lot of aftermarket coils that are readily available. You can can get up to a 21" coil to gain some serious depth, or go small with a sniper coil to hunt around metal stanchions and similar objects. The FBS tech works amazing and handles mineralized soil like a champ. Its a proven workhorse. Downside is it in not waterproof so gotta be careful in the rain and definately not going in rivers or lakes. It is also slow compared to the AT-P, CTX and many claim much slower than the NOX. It weighs noticeably more than the NOX too. So you'll fatigue faster swinging it.

The NOX is lightweight and claims to be very fast. I've only used it briefly, and I have to admit it "seems" noticeably faster than the Etrac. It is waterproof too and heck, ML has plans for the 15" coil, but it isn't out yet and could take years.

Ya know,what’s stuck in my mind is I’ve pulled so many coins with the Etrac,like it was nothing.I mean,it’s like shooting fish in a barrel with that thing on coins.Without ever holding a nox,I just have a hard time believing anything could be better at coin hunting than a Etrac,I could be wrong,it’s happened before.lol..

Ya know,what’s stuck in my mind is I’ve pulled so many coins with the Etrac,like it was nothing.I mean,it’s like shooting fish in a barrel with that thing on coins.Without ever holding a nox,I just have a hard time believing anything could be better at coin hunting than a Etrac,I could be wrong,it’s happened before.lol..
I hear you. I love ML FBS machines and have owned and waterproofed quite a few, but this new tech is pretty impressive. It's lightning fast, and that is good because the detector is so darn light you can swing it as fast as a stick. As a beach hunter, ocean hunter that is, I'm still on the fence about it's ability to stay ground balanced. But really that is the only downside, so far. In land, dang, it smokes the explorers, Safari, and IMO E-Trac...but that is when comparing them with equivalent size coils. FBS still has the advantage with big coils whereas the NOX big coil is still in development.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I just picked up a nice used E-Trac with the stock and an 8x6 coil for less than a Nox 800.

I've never swung a Nox. But the E-Tracs are proven and in my opinion hard to beat at that price.

with as many people unloading ctx's I would just get a gently used one here on the forums. I've seen a ton of them up for sale recently.

I'm not convinced that the NOX is better than the CTX granted I love and am partial to FBS technology. While the NOX is a great machine I dont think it will best a CTX ... maybe an Etrac just maybe

Unless you have Schwarzenegger arms get a Nox.

That's a bit of an exaggeration to say the least. I'm a thin guy in my mid 50's and have no problem swinging the Etrac for hours. I understand some people might have issues. When someone is deciding what to buy they need accurate information. I've already seen too much speculation about the Equinox for my liking.

heres some facts.... about the nox. Its light, fast, deep, waterproof, and sees gold targets the ETRAC and ctx cant. The equinox is the best bang for your buck at this time. I have videos up of the equinox performance.

I think they throw an eTrac in the box as a freebie now that Nox has made them obsolete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts are good. The Equinox appears to be waterproof, fast, deep and lightweight. Does it I.D. as good as FBS/FBS2? Especially at depth?

Thanks for all the posts!
I think I will continue to save up for the Etrac. Then when I have enough money, if the nox is still proving to be great I can buy it and have some extra play money. If not I'll buy the Etrac.

Alright I have experienced with both Etrac and Equinox.

So what's the skinny?
Realizing Etrac is more expensive and heavier than Equinox.

Cleaner parks looking copper and silver, Etrac better choice.

Old home sites both will do, but if house site has already had substantial Etrac use, Nox better choice.

Nox better performer on nickels big time.(As far as striking them deeper)

Heavier iron Nox hunts faster, is more efficient.

Lower conductors,,smaller gold, pewter, chains Nox better at finding.

Emi, Etrac does better, but remember Etrac not running on as many freqs as Nox. This is the why behind.

Nox is waterproof.

Nox is updatable.

Nox has faster recovery speed and is adjustable more than Etrac.

I like both.
But depending on site, amount of iron and nails, modern trash and what detectors have been used in a site I know of, I can use either.

Nox is a funner detector to run for me.
Etrac is more boring.

Whatever you decide good luck.
Both can make some real nice finds.

Last edited:
Software update

Don't get crazy with that. Remember that was a big one with the etrac. Sooo have you updated your etrac lately or for that matter ever?

Also wonder why this post it at the top of the screen and now I see its over a year old?

But love it. Thinking bout get a 800 so looking for advice. Like the gold frequencies for the money plus waterproof. Yea have the pro and an etrac.

Last edited:
You mainly hunt parks, I would imagine they are full of bottle caps, the nox LOVES bottle caps where I can just pass over them with my etrac.

Back
Top Bottom