Utah Token in Alabama?? Old?

Bonesquat

Elite Member

Attachments

• coop 1.jpg
    coop 1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,779
Very cool find! This is what i have found so far...

Park Valley. The Western Co-op was located in Park Valley, Box Elder County, in extreme northwestern Utah. According to directories, this co-op seems to have existed from 1916 to 1922. It was not part of the ZCMI family and was started very late. The main importance of this co-op was that it issued tokens. For years the co-op was said to have been in Salt Lake City, but research done by Utah token expert Lee Cheves has shown that this co-op was located in Park Valley, not SLC.

Source : http://www.holabirdamericana.com/MormonPMC.html

Annd

288 Western Co-Operative Association $5 $80.50

289 Western Co-Operative Association 25 Cents $138.00

Source : http://www.holabird.org/April_2009_Prices_Realized.html

Number 288 and 289...however they don't seem to have your Denomination.. or a photo...but the smaller values seem to be worth more.. at least judging by the two they had up for auction.

I have also learned that Oklahoma's State motto is "labor omnia vincit" or "Hard Work Conquers All" and was also on the states Territorial Seal. It was also a widely used during labor movements. particularly the American Federation of Labor, I also notice, they use the same symbol of Shaking hands. I think your token is a form of payment, from a labor union in Oklahoma. ( or Co-op; a company in which all of the workers make up the owners such as the "Prairie Farms dairy co-op" that still exists today)

600px-AFL-label.jpg

Thanks for the info! I knew it was old. I love finding old tokens. I guess this one seems to be kind of rare. I couldn't find any picture of it online expect for the one I uploaded.

Another similar token.

I found this similar token on Friday, March 2nd, at an old empty lot near downtown Oklahoma City. It also has the letters "O.K." stamped over "WESTERN".

img068_-_Copy.jpg

You might want to call Bob Campbell at All About Coins in Sugarhouse Utah.

(801) 467-8636

He is an expert on Utah tokens. i sold him a few when I lived there and found them. He published a book on Utah tokens and maybe he knows. He remembers me and the gold eagle I found in the park.

Love to see out of the norm tokens. Congrats on the find!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom