Some native american pottery shards

Konadog

Elite Member
Bayou Goula tribe

Attachments

• 066_zpsgkpgqlj2.jpg
    066_zpsgkpgqlj2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1,728
there are different laws in some states . in Arizona and New Mexico it's illegal , even to pick up shards , but I think east of the Mississippi shards are ok.;)

Every one of mine come off private property, prove me wrong.

Charlie

ah, but what you don't know, is that we have video footage of you picking up some of those shards off (gasp) public land. But no problem: Send us each $100, and we can be persuaded to keep the video footage from landing in the hands of a purist archie. :laughing:

There's a place in the high deserts of CA (yes, on public land) where those shards are EVERYWHERE. It never occurred to me there was a problem in picking them up. And quite frankly, I doubt anyone cares, nor is anyone out there in the middle of nowhere to see it/them anyhow.

ah, but what you don't know, is that we have video footage of you picking up some of those shards off (gasp) public land. But no problem: Send us each $100, and we can be persuaded to keep the video footage from landing in the hands of a purist archie. :laughing:

There's a place in the high deserts of CA (yes, on public land) where those shards are EVERYWHERE. It never occurred to me there was a problem in picking them up. And quite frankly, I doubt anyone cares, nor is anyone out there in the middle of nowhere to see it/them anyhow.

The government has drones that fly too high to see, but have incredible optics aboard that see and video record everything! :shock:

The government has drones that fly too high to see, but have incredible optics aboard that see and video record everything! :shock:

Yup. And Navy commando Seal archies lurk in hiding behind trees, waiting to jump out and accost you. They are armed with pocket calculators to quickly do the math on the age of all the coins you find.

So best not to think of taking up the hobby of md'ing or indian artifacts. 'cuz everyone hates you. Tsk tsk.

Kind of the same mentality for shark attacks: All it takes is for a single shark attack story to make the newspaper for the entire year, and suddenly, everyone is afraid of "imminent shark attack if they dared swim in the ocean". Never mind how rare it is. Never mind that thousands swim daily and aren't attacked. The human psyche focusses on that single fluke story. Same for shards: A single guy got hassled (fined or jailed or whatever) in a single fluke story somewhere a decade ago. That link gets bandied about from forum to forum as a "dire warning" of how dangerous it is to pick one up. So then everyone scampers around trying to find out laws, etc..... But in actual reality, it's sort of like the shark attack scenario.

At some point, you have to leave your front door in the morning, and risk that a bear might attack you, etc.... Sure, use common sense. But on the other hand, I think we relic hunters can sometimes way over-think the risks, laws, etc....

Yup. And Navy commando Seal archies lurk in hiding behind trees, waiting to jump out and accost you. They are armed with pocket calculators to quickly do the math on the age of all the coins you find.

So best not to think of taking up the hobby of md'ing or indian artifacts. 'cuz everyone hates you. Tsk tsk.

Kind of the same mentality for shark attacks: All it takes is for a single shark attack story to make the newspaper for the entire year, and suddenly, everyone is afraid of "imminent shark attack if they dared swim in the ocean". Never mind how rare it is. Never mind that thousands swim daily and aren't attacked. The human psyche focusses on that single fluke story. Same for shards: A single guy got hassled (fined or jailed or whatever) in a single fluke story somewhere a decade ago. That link gets bandied about from forum to forum as a "dire warning" of how dangerous it is to pick one up. So then everyone scampers around trying to find out laws, etc..... But in actual reality, it's sort of like the shark attack scenario.

At some point, you have to leave your front door in the morning, and risk that a bear might attack you, etc.... Sure, use common sense. But on the other hand, I think we relic hunters can sometimes way over-think the risks, laws, etc....

Only you could take this thread off in 3rd base to further your agenda of do whatever you want when you want

Smh

Cool finds kona!

Hey! Shard happens! :lol:

Kind of concerns me because I've seen stuff like that before near my house and the woods here in middle TN. I didn't think much of it. May have to go back and try finding them.

Back
Top Bottom