WW2 metal

claddy

Elite Member
Found this today was positive I had a silver half or dollar but to have something that a hero was awarded for fighting in WW2 is priceless to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 373
Very nice find - I have the ribbon that goes with the medal. My father's from WWII, Army Air Corps, 15th Air Force. The middle star with silver plating equals 5 battle stars, so he had a total of 9 battle stars. From North Africa, Sicily, Italy. I think most soldiers only wore the ribbon.

Attachments

• IMG_1399 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1399 (800x600).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 353
Like it

Learn something every time I dig up something new and was reading about that and our heroes that fought for our freedom

When I was a kid, Circa 1970's I pinned a bunch of my Grandfathers medals to my chest and proceeded to play war. We were fairly serious and had the old helmets and canteens etc.

The weapons were dirt clods and a giant sling shot made out of inner tubes. We would hurl old oranges and lemons into the next yard.

I lost several of his medals like that. I've detected one of the yards 30 or so years later and they never turned up. One of the other yards has long since been developed. Your post brought back some memories of the lost medals. Great finds and post.

When I was a kid, Circa 1970's I pinned a bunch of my Grandfathers medals to my chest and proceeded to play war. We were fairly serious and had the old helmets and canteens etc.

The weapons were dirt clods and a giant sling shot made out of inner tubes. We would hurl old oranges and lemons into the next yard.

I lost several of his medals like that. I've detected one of the yards 30 or so years later and they never turned up. One of the other yards has long since been developed. Your post brought back some memories of the lost medals. Great finds and post.

If you locate his service record, with the list of awards, you might be able to find the missing ones on the used market, purchase and replace them. I know they won't be the exact same medal that he touched and wore, but at least you would have the complete set of awards that he was entitled to.

No luck with owner. Did get a family history and learned something, had plenty of dirt clods thrown at me in the mid 70s

They're called campaign stars. Yes, the silver one counts for 5. So he participated in 9 campaigns, IMPRESSIVE!!

Back
Top Bottom