Anybody here doing Keto Diet?

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
I'd be interested in hearing your input/thoughts/results about it. I've been researching it the past couple days, and probably going to give it a go, starting in a few days.

It's a good time since I needed to clean-out the cabinets, 'fridge, and freezers....plus I've ate my big steak to celebrate the stopping smoking thing.

Anyway, tell your stories, share your recipes.

If you're unfamiliar with the whole concept, here's a link I've been reading:
(there's plenty of other sites, just happen to save this one to try some recipes)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

That link made me hungry..

Best of luck to you, I eat low carb already.. haven't had a Soda in 5+ years,

however

I do occasionally crave something chocolate and keep York Peppermint Patties around for such occasions.

I'm the type that if I know I can have just one piece of something around when I need it I don't feel deprived and want them less and less.

I eat what i want, if the weight creeps up I do the chicken/veggie diet.
And lots of sit-ups and pushups.

My wife used a Keto diet a few years ago to win a "Biggest Loser" contest at work. She was trying to lose the last pounds from a pregnancy. She liked the diet so well, she still sticks to it. It only seems to work if you are strict about the carbs. But, she feels like she can eat all she wants and not be hungry. It took her a while to get used to drinking her coffee without cream and sugar, but the rest didn't bother her much. But then again, she was used to drinking 2 pots of coffee each, and drinking it right up to bedtime. I do most of the cooking, so she would find recipes and I would make them.

I was lucky in that I never was much of a soda drinker.

I know there's different variations of the diet, one being carb-loading on the weekends.

Also, keto shows using full heavy cream in coffee is the way to go.

I may have inadvertently started on it a bit early. Yesterday I consumes just over 1500 calories, consisting of 123g of fat, 82.5g of protein, and 17.2g of carbs. Been plenty of times I've ate more than that in appetizers before a meal :D

When I calculated my target body weight, I used 200 pounds as a goal, which is too thin for my frame, I'd look sick at that weight. That target weight put me at 2000 calories daily, so I'm a bit low, which is fine because I could stand to drop 10 pounds pretty quick. I'm guessing closer to 215-220 is where I'd like to end-up.

Over the winter I was nearing moving-up to a 42" waist :shock:, lol I was a 36" forever....I'll long remember the day I gave several pairs of britches away :( i was "square", wore a 36"x36" :lol:

I'm down to a 38" currently, and am looking forward to buying some 36" again, since it's time to update my wardrobe anyways. I need to see if the grocery store has an electronic scale at the pharmacy, or just go buy a scale to help keep track of things.

Just shy of a week in, so far no "keto flu" (headaches, constipation, grouchiness...more than usual :laughing:).

Been keeping tabs on caloric intake and macro-nutrients, there's a free spot to do it for anyone interested, called myfitnesspal (owned by UnderArmor).

I re-figured my calories on that site by plugging in a few answers, which put me closer to 1600 calories. Been doing pretty good so far, still getting adjusted, and working on keeping things consistent. I need to switch to low-sodium bacon though, that's my biggest issue, but I had this last pack in the freezer, so once it's gone, LS it is.

Learned a good desert, if I have some calories left to use-up....heavy whipping cream and sugar-free jello, whip it together, good stuff!

Another plus, I finally learned how to hard-boil eggs where they can be peeled without looking like the dog chewed on 'em :laughing:

Just bought a scale today, came-in at 218.6, less than I would have guesses. Getting close to my yearly physical, and last year I was 230, and they way I've eaten, I can't imagine I'd been dropping any :shock:

Took some measurements today, and in the 13 or so years since I'd stopped working-out, I've lost 2" on my biceps, and 3" on my quads :( So, going to rebuild a home gym and try to regain some of it.

Well, I didn't really lose it, it just gravitated to my gut :laughing:

This is at 3:30PM today, so I still have a ways to go.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-02 at 3.06.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-02 at 3.06.09 PM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 90
Another plus, I finally learned how to hard-boil eggs where they can be peeled without looking like the dog chewed on 'em :laughing:
Ancient Chinese secret?:lol:
I have a difficult time peeling fresh eggs (we get a dozen or so per week from a couple backyard hens). Store bought eggs, I have no problem, ‘cause they’re a month or so old at the store when you buy ‘em. I’ve tried the vinegar added to water trick, boil for 10 minutes, then dump in ice water. Works about half the time. :cool:

Ancient Chinese secret?:lol:
I have a difficult time peeling fresh eggs (we get a dozen or so per week from a couple backyard hens). Store bought eggs, I have no problem, ‘cause they’re a month or so old at the store when you buy ‘em. I’ve tried the vinegar added to water trick, boil for 10 minutes, then dump in ice water. Works about half the time. :cool:

I tried it all, and as a final attempt, I read about getting the water boiling 1st (toss in a tsp of salt), then adding the eggs. Boil for 13 minutes, and immediately submerge in a bowl of ice water, leave for 5 minutes and peel.

I've boiled a few dozen in the past week, and haven't ruined a single one.

BTW, Dicks Sporting Goods (yes, the haters of the AR15) has a 300 lb Olympic weight set (with a chrome bar) on sale for $189 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom