1937D Washington Quarter, Grading question, how do you do it and is it worth it?

BBsGal

Forum Supporter
One of the people on another site I frequent said I should have the quarter I found yesterday graded. I'm not a coin collecter per se, just a hunter, so I know absolutely nothing at all about any of this stuff.

Question is, how is grading done, who does it, and is it worth it for something like this quarter?

picture.php

picture.php

Grading is pretty expensive from what I've read on here.. And many forgo getting even really rare coins graded because of the cost, and also their coin will most likely come back graded with environmental damage..

In most cases its not worth more as graded unless its such a rare coin that getting it graded would help prove authenticity when selling...

<*)))>{

It's going to have environmental damage and not worth having professionally graded IMHO. Even if it was mint, it would be worth only $160. You may have a $20-$30 coin there if you find the right buyer but that is strictly based on others that I have seen sold.

Aha, thank you. I figured it was probably not for a dug coin like this one considering (as far as I can tell checking online) it's no rare coin... I appreciate it!

One of the people on another site I frequent said I should have the quarter I found yesterday graded.

Other sites are wrong!

Some other sites might even ban you for even talking "other sites" :lol:

<*)))>{

I am a coin collector.

Your coin is not worth grading.
If I were to grade it, I would grade it VF (environmental damage).

it would never reach AU status because of the wear on the back.

It is worth it's weight in silver.

I am a coin collector.

I agree.

And OP, as my own rule of thumb, I don't get coins graded unless it's worth a few hundred dollars (some have higher thresholds) or more and if I want to sell it. I actually prefer coins raw and ungraded.

I am a coin collector.

I agree.

And OP, as my own rule of thumb, I don't get coins graded unless it's worth a few hundred dollars (some have higher thresholds) or more and if I want to sell it. I actually prefer coins raw and ungraded.

Thank you both, that's pretty much what I figured. That's why I love this forum, people don't blow smoke up your... well, you know, when you ask a serious question.... And I appreciate straight shooters! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom