Spend Money to Clean Money?

5 mile

Forum Supporter
Not me. Didnt make sense. I dont hunt clad. I didnt want to pay to clean clad.

Although I had tucked away about 10-15 lbs of clad from the 80's plus what little I found while seeking better targets.

I had this sweet little reduction gear motor for years that my Uncle gave me, turns out it was perfect for what I had in mind. 1/70th HP, 20:1 reduction. Draws .30 amp, compared to .53 amp for HF. Much better motor too, no belts.

Its a capacitor run motor and calls for a 3.75 mfd (uf) cap. I happen to have some from old ceiling fans I took apart.

A couple tent stakes, some scrap wood, coffee cans, used fuel line hose and wallah ! The cans even have lift bars built in. Harbor Freight doesn't.

Notice no pillow block bearings bearings or steel rod, just syn grease. I would buy some if I ran this a lot.

Perhaps down the road if I want to polish stones.

Cleans coins like a champ!

Attachments

• IMAG0996[1].jpg
    IMAG0996[1].jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 928
  • IMAG0997[1].jpg
    IMAG0997[1].jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 872
  • IMAG0999[1].jpg
    IMAG0999[1].jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 885
I wouldn't even waste my time cleaning any money. I never understood those tumblers to clean peoples finds.

Cleaning coins for one devalues them to any degree. Why clean them just to turn them into the bank?

I personally would just take them to the bank and let them destroy them out of circulation vs spending all that time and money and resources to clean coins. Rather be out detecting.

I wouldn't even waste my time cleaning any money. I never understood those tumblers to clean peoples finds.

Cleaning coins for one devalues them to any degree. Why clean them just to turn them into the bank?

I personally would just take them to the bank and let them destroy them out of circulation vs spending all that time and money and resources to clean coins. Rather be out detecting.

I just received a HF tumbler for Father's Day and cleaned and took in over $100 in change, that's why:p

It is ingenuity like this that made America Great!
I doubt anyone under the age of 30 could figure out something like this, nice job!

I am to lazy to roll a few hundred dollars in coins that is why I clean them. I take the cleaned coins to my credit union and run them thru the counter and get green paper in exchange. The counter will not accept dirty money. My credit union does not charge their customers so I save more than enough to pay for the electricity my old tumbler uses to clean coins. Bought the tumbler many many moons ago to tumble gem stones. It also gives me something to do on those rainy days when there is thunder and lightning.

Banks don't have to accept dirty coins , most don't. Or they wont for long as soon as they figure out what is going on.

Nice build man! My wife has been a rock enthusiast for many years. We already had a tumbler when I started detecting so for me it was a no brainer!

Back
Top Bottom