Equinox HP's: Grey Ghost vs. Tony Eisenhower's?

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
This question is directed to somebody out there that has either used both or has both. I believe that either of those are superior to the standard yellow Minelab ones. I like the the fact that Tony's are white because that gives me a canvas for some Felix the Cat artwork ;)... but I like the volume knob on the GG headset because it gives me me one less setting to fiddle with on the control unit. :yes: Which do you prefer and why?

Tony

Has upgraded the Tony's 1st generation Equinox head phones to his 2nd generation, which is a heavier duty Jack, and new sound speaker's, i sent mine in for the upgrade, and very fast turn around, so if you get a pair, make sure you get the 2nd generation and not a used 1st without the up-grade, Earl PS cant say anything about the yellow ML phone's, but i do know the Gray ghost - that company got bought out, just talking on the phone with them, a turn off,i will not buy anything from them, happy hunting , Earl Tony make's great phone's Felix , if you buy a pair you will be happy :D

Has upgraded the Tony's 1st generation Equinox head phones to his 2nd generation, which is a heavier duty Jack, and new sound speaker's, i sent mine in for the upgrade, and very fast turn around, so if you get a pair, make sure you get the 2nd generation and not a used 1st without the up-grade, Earl PS cant say anything about the yellow ML phone's, but i do know the Gray ghost - that company got bought out, just talking on the phone with them, a turn off,i will not buy anything from them, happy hunting , Earl Tony make's great phone's Felix , if you buy a pair you will be happy :D

Thought only scuba had gotten his Tony phones modified :) I'm running Tony's 1st gen. Works for me and really comfy. They are more difficult to hear underwater vs a cz-21 but you can survive if wading/snorkeling. I'm sure scuba had big problems underwater because he had to deal with regulator noise etc.

have both the GG amphibs and Tony's Nox phones gen 2. two thumbs up to Tony's.

Thought only scuba had gotten his Tony phones modified :) I'm running Tony's 1st gen. Works for me and really comfy. They are more difficult to hear underwater vs a cz-21 but you can survive if wading/snorkeling. I'm sure scuba had big problems underwater because he had to deal with regulator noise etc.

1st gen are not loud enough i sent mine back to tony and he upgraded mine as well very fast turnaround :D

After exchanging a few emails with Tony, I ordered a pair of his and I’m so glad I did! They block out lots of ambient noise, there’s plenty of volume, and they’re so comfortable!

If you are going to get a pair of phones really wet....... you just cant beat Tonys. Hes upgraded mine as well. His gives you some modulation that you might not get from most using speakers. Ive never really be a fan of GG phones and that volume knob.....well the only time i use it is when im trying to keep it from freezing up. I also found some pairs didnt sound like others. But they were comfortable..... and i just dont know what changes might have been made since the co. changed hands. We are getting a lot of after market people doing phones now...... thats good for us. When me and Tony first spoke ....he was only going to do a few...... i bet hes gotten busier than he wanted.:lol:

I have a pair from Tony. They work well. Most of the time I just go wireless. I don't submerge my detector that often. You need a real calm day in the Mid Atlantic to get out there. Most of the time the sand is soft and fluffy.

dewcon;3041604 When me and Tony first spoke ....he was only going to do a few...... i bet hes gotten busier than he wanted.:lol:[/QUOTE said:
I'm sure it does. Although it keeps a hunting buddy away from the beach it allows ME to find the gold that HE didn't.. So with that,,,, I hope business stays a booming:laughing::laughing: Tony!

Scuba's Not the only one :laughing: you been living on an island to long, hope it's not Snake Island , happy hunting .

Lol yea the poor islanders learn to take what they can get :) too much trouble sending back to cali then back to me. Part of the reason why I never got an excal and stick with the tank ish CZ21.

I recall Tony 1st made phones using piezos from the Koss yellows, then later made the white ones with piezos he purchased. Now is there a 2nd version of the white one?
I spent some time comparing the original U40, the two Koss yellows I have, a 3M pelso-like pair I got 2nd hand, and two earbud pairs I use with the WM10. I like the earbuds for practicality but they overload and lack fidelity. The U40 is best but a pain to use. The pelso pair has less treble and all piezos have a sweet spot for around 900Hz. Interesting how different the piezos are with the CTX vs the Excal. Really good on the Excal but weird non-linear volume behavior on the CTX. I don’t go underwater but once in a blue moon get soaked unintentionally. So I’m still looking for a solution for the CTX - probably different earbuds with a custom frequency/amplitude circuit.. For the Equinox I’ve been risking the wireless phones - seem fine. Put the unit up for sale so I stopped looking for something waterproof. I didn’t try making a CTX to Equinox adapter yet. How is volume adjustment with Tony’s phones?

I have Tony's gen 1s and I have zero issues with them even fully submerged while snorkeling. For those that upgraded how much does he charge?

Back
Top Bottom