what bottles are the good ones

streetshark1966

Elite Member
iam new at this and i have an early 1800 farm/goast town iam working and i found a pile of bottles there. alot of them are the cork bottles. how do i know if they are the good one or not?

Look for anything unique. Look for bottles with embossing, patent dates, corked tops... Hard to explain exactly what to look for to someone who is just starting out. Watch some bottle digging videos on YouTube and you could probably get a good idea of what you should be looking for. Good luck!!

There are a bunch a ways to tell and too many to post here. There are some great sites and good books on how to date bottles. If you find bottles with names on them they are worth something to that specific area, exception would be country wide known names. Look at the seam on the bottle if it goes all the way to the top its a modern bottle, if it stops just shy of the top thens its 1800s if it stops at the neck then again 1800s, the oldest are hand blown and pintel bottoms. I hope this may give you some insight.

2 cents

- Blown with pontil mark
- imperfections- bubbles, obvious ,or noticeable things in the glass that make it stick out.bottle may lean like the tower of piza
- Colors-cobalt blue, black,dark green, aqua,purple, yellowish-brown
- tops that were hand made.
- embossed -raised letters
-Bitters,Inks, Medicine, Blown,flasks
-seams that stop half way up the bottle
Hope this helps

These are the ones that I prefer...... sorry couldn't resist.

Attachments

• rethink_your_light_beer.jpg
    rethink_your_light_beer.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 570
That's such a subjective question.

I've dug (from the 1800's family farm) bottles that are from the turn of the century and embossed nicely sell for 2-3bucks tops. I've had Coke Hobbleskirt bottles sell for up to 50 just because of the name on the bottom that says where it was bottled.
I've sold common acl sodas for 2-5 bucks and uncommon ones for 30-50. Alot of a bottle's worth is how many collectors collect it and what will the market bare. I saw an empty wine bottle go for over 1k on ebay a few months ago....Domaine Romanée-Conti.

If I were you, I'd hit the antique bottle forums and join up. Tons of very bottle smart people on there. People are usually very willing to help with bottle rarity etc..and know exactly what the item will bring. Some people may even pm you and offer a price.

One that recently sold on ebay (not even counting what's sold privately);

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Goddins-...823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6079183f

also, be on the lookout for old snuff bottles and old perfume bottles. Even some of the perfume bottles thought of as common in the 60's and 70's are collectible.

I found a cool one yesterday but my wife made me leave it behind just because there was a dead mouse inside.

lol good one streetshark...

When my brother and i were 10-12, we were walking the woodline next to the park across the street. He found a soda bottle and picked it up...he had a nice surprise of dead mouse juice and soda run all over his hand and down his arm.....pure stink.

Back
Top Bottom