Is a roll of pennies a cache?

Kyle45

Was out looking around a local lake/swimming hole today that I have had some good luck at before. After some clad and a little junk I decided to move up into the grass. I got a solid signal and found 3 pennies stuck together, figured maybe a kid had buried his "treasure".. scanned again, and found the other 47. It was definetly a roll of pennies, lined up perfect. I just never imagined finding a roll of coins..:D

from 61 to 92. I was hoping it might have been a really old roll, checked every single date.

If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating and people are collecting the older ones. The government changed in 1982 to zinc due to the cost of the coper pennies actually costing more than a penny to produce. Look up some of their prices.

If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating and people are collecting the older ones. The government changed in 1982 to zinc due to the cost of the coper pennies actually costing more than a penny to produce. Look up some of their prices.

Wow...I didn't know that. I thought all memorials where zinc. Now I got a few hundred pennies to look through...lol

Copper is currently $3.66 a pound. I had considered saving all the pennies for copper, but that's a lot of buckets of pennies sitting around, so I decided against it. Maybe someday I will regret it though.

About a month ago I found a 50-penny cache (some stuck together some not) and all the dates were in the 60s-70s. I assume someone from that time dropped or buried a roll of pennies. It's my biggest coin spill to date! :)

I believe between 5 and 6 cents per penny in melt value is what I read a month or so ago. The scrap yard has to make their $ so you will only get a fraction.

Is there glaze on a donut???

Is there jelly on the peanut butter? Is there frost on the pumpkin?? OF course it's a cache who's laying on the ground with a roll of lincoln cents in their pocket? Then of course it could be that fat kid in stand by me who buried his jar of pennies. Last month some banana with too much money to be in charge of it bought $1 million $$ worth of nickels just for the Nickel content. NO KIDDING! I'll find the article. Yes, you scored, not big, but you did score. Good find! P.S. that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

melting US coins i.e. lincoln cents is at present illegal, but who knows. I mean really bad money always chases out good

Onaug I believe between 5 and 6 cents per penny in melt value is what I read a month or so ago. The scrap yard has to make their $ so you will only get a fraction.

Nice find! Not a true cache, but definitely note worthy. Very rare to find a roll at a time. You might call it an Awesome Pocket Spill. You can check melt valve at coinflation.com. Currently it is illegal to scrap pennies and nickels, with silver nickels being the exception.

146 copper pennies in a pound.
Worth twice as much at the scrap yard as they are at the bank.

I work in retail and handle a lot of money distributing it to the registers but I never thouht about how many pennies to make a pound untill this came up. I have noticed that I see less and less of the older pennies someone is hording them, and I am starting also. :)

pre 82(not all 82's are 95% copper) melt value is currently at .0237 cents...

Cache of 1943 pennies

My first wife's Great Grandma had a shoe box full of rolled 1943 pennies. I don't know why her Great Grand Parents did this. I know from stories the old man was a inventor and had a lot of money in stocks. I bet my x brother in law just cashed them in when they went threw the stuff in the house when it got passed down to his mom. Big goof up. He got her to let the church have the house as she didn't want to live in it as the will was set. She lost ownership of the stocks when she let the church have the house. My father in law had told me when it come down to his daughter she would be worth $750,000 for her share of the money when the stocks would be legal to sell and end the tie to the wills instructions.
Great Grandma was a strange lady. Had a $100 bill sewen into each of her slips she bought.
M6 Mike

Back
Top Bottom