Audio Phone II Headphone Repair

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
My headphones(Audio Phone II) went out when detecting with Rob last weekend performed some surgery today. I spliced a new cord directly into the headphone instead of putting on a new plug, hoping that is where the short was.

Picked up a 20 foot (STEREO) extension at Radio Shack, the 1/4 jack to 1/8 plug as it was cheaper and you aren't using the plug end anyway. All in all not much to it, some photos follow.........

The package:
extension_cord_package.jpg

The cord:
extension_cord.jpg

The headphone cover came off pretty easily, used a scalpel to pop it off, a thin screwdriver would also suffice:
removing_headphone_cover.jpg

Headphones pre-operation - notice the old cord on the right hand side, I cut the old cord of course, but left about 4'' of it so I could splice and not have to try and solder on the new cord wires:
inside_headphone.jpg

I cut off about 7' of the extension cable, predetermining that was about the correct length to have enough slack to put my detector down and not pull on the cord at all. Just a matter of splicing the wires:
spliced_wires.jpg

Very simplistic wire diagram:
diagram.jpg

Headphones are back in business :yes:

Radio Shack also has a cheap-o pair of headphones with an inline volume control. An 1/8 plug, so you would need an adapter for the Ace, or any other MD that has the 1/4 plug.

Radio Shack

I'll show you how to read a meter so you won't have to guess if the short was at the end.    Rob

Back
Top Bottom