First Old Find

olfart

After bush hogging the area around an old well on our property Saturday, I finally got time to start prospecting this afternoon. First off the bat was a large (about 18" X 24") piece of heavily corroded sheet metal about 4" down. I finally found all the edges and got it up, then found another about the same size under it. Under that I found what I believe is part of an old pocket watch. The plate appears to be brass with the remains of a couple of steel parts, including one spring.

It may take me a day or two to finish poking around the big hole, but it does look promising!

Attachments

• Pocket Watch 2.jpg
    Pocket Watch 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Pocket Watch 3.jpg
    Pocket Watch 3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 190
After bush hogging the area around an old well on our property Saturday, I finally got time to start prospecting this afternoon. First off the bat was a large (about 18" X 24") piece of heavily corroded sheet metal about 4" down. I finally found all the edges and got it up, then found another about the same size under it. Under that I found what I believe is part of an old pocket watch. The plate appears to be brass with the remains of a couple of steel parts, including one spring.

It may take me a day or two to finish poking around the big hole, but it does look promising!
Two things you can always count on around old homesteads. Harmonica reeds and clock or watch parts.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I like old clock parts. Those... and harmonica reeds, are indicators that an old coin might be forthcoming.

I was thinking that it looked like part of an old fishing reel. The screws look kind if high for a watch. I'm probably wrong since I don't know that much about watches.

Back
Top Bottom