Kinda like being a celebrity...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Yesterday I was just driving around and I stopped in a neighborhood that had some old looking curb strips.
I was bending over to dig up my first target when a younger guy walking a little dog came up to me.
Says he just started the hobby a month ago, hasn't found much yet but he is trying hard to get better.
Says he thinks he needs a little better machine
He seemed nice so I asked him what he was using and he says he thinks it is called an Alpha.
I laughed and said he can still find great stuff with that one, it is a metal detector, but a little more advanced unit with actual VDI numbers would make the learning process a lot easier and faster.
As we talked I realized he is struggling and frustrated and pretty much using it as a beep and dig only and digging up everything and hoping for the best but not much understanding at all up to this point.
He asked about other detectors that aren't too expensive and I mentioned a few but I also said I hunt with a few guys and if he wants to meet us sometime on a hunt or travel the few miles back to my neighborhood park sometime I can show him a few things and probably clue him in a lot better about his and get him finding a few better targets and a little less junk anyway before he spends money on another one.
He seemed thrilled with that, like a man in the water you throw a lifeline to and he started to shake my hand and thank me for offering.
We talked a bit more and he says he watches a lot of vids on YouTube attempting to learn but watching everyone digging up all that great stuff is driving him crazy.
I said that stuff is around here too...you just have to get a little better to find it.
Then I asked him if he is on any of the forums and he hasn't joined any yet but he does lurk and read a ton on one...Treasurenet.
I said I am on that one and I also told him about Findmall and this one and suggested he at least come here and join up.
I can help him a bit better and point him to some good info and everyone around here is pretty friendly...hence the name.
Then I told him my name on most of the forums is DIGGER27 and he can message me here or on Treasurenet and that's when it happened...
His eyes got real big, he stopped for a second and then he smiled and practically yelled out, "I know who you are!".
Evidently he has read some of my posts over there.
Then he grabbed my hand again and started shaking it again like crazy and thanked me a bunch more times for my offer to spend time with him, help him out and get better at all this.
It was funny...I was enjoying myself immensely at that point.
Can't wait to see him come over here and realize how much information I have plastered all over this forum...it is way more than over on TNet.

So I get to help a flailing noob get to enjoy this hobby better and watch while the lights slowly come on as he learns to find things easier.
Maybe I will lend him my old F2 and really blow his mind with those VDI numbers.

That is flat out awesome! Man, you go out of your way all the time to help people out. Great job DIGGER! I'm certainly glad that I found you, that's for sure.

Welcome to the club Digga I get that all the time bro.

Funny I asked if we are celebrities back in 2012 https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=126698

They balked at the idea....but I have met many people who visit my website detecting365.com and my blog who are stoked once they realize who I am....

That's when you know we've truly arrived LOL

Now if they really Knew ya they would have asked you for a cheeseburger :)

DIGGER, you really made this young guy's day. I really hope he can meet up with you and your hunting buddies for a day. When you are at the bottom of the learning curve and can actually learn by live instruction you will really get a jump start. So much better than fumbling around and guessing. Heck, I could still really learn a lot from live instruction from someone who knows what they are doing.

DIGGER, you really made this young guy's day. I really hope he can meet up with you and your hunting buddies for a day. When you are at the bottom of the learning curve and can actually learn by live instruction you will really get a jump start. So much better than fumbling around and guessing. Heck, I could still really learn a lot from live instruction from someone who knows what they are doing.

I love helping others get better at this hobby and enjoy it more, that's why I write all this stuff I do about what I have learned.
In person I can do in 5 minutes what would take thousands of words to get across if you read them instead.

When I was in my club in Kansas I used the Vaq some, the Compadre a little more but the main tool I used was my F2 and I won tons of contests with that thing at most of our monthly meetings until I won the limit then was not allowed to enter anymore.
Then I just brought my cool stuff in to show off after that.
Best jewelry all the time, most unusual, some of the coin contests and most coins almost every month.
Usually I would beat out the second place most coins winner by the hundreds.
In 2013 I was on a quest for gold and found 12 that year...one month I didn't find any and those guys were all funny and kept ribbing me, "What, no gold this month?"
Over time at least four members bought F2's because of what they saw me finding even though they all had much higher end detectors also.
I told them it was not magic, I just learned to understand it real well so from time to time I would show new owners a few things after our outdoor hunt get togethers to help them over the learning curve a bit.
Here is a cute story about one of those times.
Sadly, the person in the story I was helping here, Marc, has since passed away.
Super nice guy, MXT swinger usually and one time on another club hunt he found a tiny 24k ring marked .999 so he was so happy and we were all thrilled for him.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=194982

Great post. :goodpost: Digger, you are the kind of guy who is so valuable to the m.d. hobby. First, you are knowledgeable, and you also tell a great story, are kind, willing to share, and seem very humble.
Thanks for this post and the linked titanium ring story. That made me smile. :urock:

Cool! Great Idea! I'm gonna start telling everybody I run into afield I'm DIGGER27! Like Negan on TWD! So far, introducing myself as 'Mudpuppy' has gotten me about nowhere...:no::lol:

Cool! Great Idea! I'm gonna start telling everybody I run into afield I'm DIGGER27! Like Negan on TWD! So far, introducing myself as 'Mudpuppy' has gotten me about nowhere...:no::lol:

Oh you are known.
But when any of my hunting buddies and I talk about the forum and I mention your name the look on this dog's face is usually the reaction.

Attachments

• photostudio_1491324651812.jpg
    photostudio_1491324651812.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 205
Thanks for all the good information!
Really helped with the learning curve reading
all the chestnuts you all have posted.

Noah

Back
Top Bottom