Probe?

N

ncseadog

I was at the local Goodwill store today just killing time looking at the bins of kitchen utensils and it occurred to me that one of those long handle grill spatulas or forks could be cut off and made into a probe of any length you need. It fairly thin, light and sturdy. Made mine 8" with a blunt tip. Put a cable tie on it and it hangs conveniently from my belt. No more digging beer cans!

Snows coming in tonight. First one of the winter for us. It'll be nice too, especially since it will be gone tomorrow with the rain behind it.

Now that's being inovative. I don't go without a probe. I use a 4 sided screwdriver, it's very tought and about 10" long.

Great idea, I have a 8" probe, but would like one a bit longer, I bet some old grilling equipment would work great. thanks . smg

I had kinda the same idea. I work at napa every other sat (i do it for the employee discount :!: :lol:) and they have one of the small metal racks. Many hardware stores also have them. I started lookin at the small round stock and square stock that we had to make a probe. The metal isn't really expensive (couple dollars). I was thinkin of making my handle a "t" handle instead of having the straight up and down handle. Has anyone done this and if so does it work allright for you.

96cummins

A T handle generally works better when you need a lot of leverage. I think a straight handle will be better for probing and sensitivity. Ever think of a keyed handle that would rotate to 90* if you needed the "T"? I have seen mechanics tools with these types of handles.

My probe is a thin piece of drill rod. On the tip I have a small copper sleeve ( fitting) that is filled with solder. As the tip wears I put on new solder. The solder tip is soft. The handle is a golf ball. Rob

Attachments

• probe.jpg
    probe.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 579
  • probe2.jpg
    probe2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 574
I also made a probe with a golf ball for a handle. I used a brass rod about 3/16 of an inch. I drilled a small hole in golf ball about 1 1/4 " deep. I then put the rod in a vice where 1 1/4' of rod stuck OUT. I then hammered(softly) the golf ball onto the threaded rod (tight fit). rounded the tip a bit and even punched dots with a sharp awl at 1 inch incriments. Works good. I will show a pic when I figure out how.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I like your arm saver on your site too. cool idea

Back
Top Bottom