Two "firsts" in one day

WThesing

Elite Member
My wife (bless her soul) did not want me to work today (B'Day), but to go enjoy myself. I compromised and took off around noon to head to one of my still untouched historical sites. It turned out to be a much larger than anticipated 1750's - 1810 farm. I was only expecting a farmhouse and a couple acres. It is 103 acres, 2 houses, a few large barns, and numerous foundations, and roads put in around 1760. There have been requests to detect the property, I am told that I am the only one to gain this priveledge, and it is VIRGIN. If I find anything of historical value, I give it to the historical society. Coins and such, I can keep.

I was given a tour by the nice folks that live there, and hunted for about 2 hours starting around the main house. The area is carpeted with thousands of nails from wood fences that were torn down in early 1900's, and replaced with stone walls. I had my work cut out for me but managed two wheatys, a clad nickel, my 1st indian head- 1874 and my 1st large cent - 1846. Most were 8-12 inches deep.

The soil is very rich and non acidic. The large cent is dirty, but after only a water rinse, I can read "Liberty" in the crown. It is in superb condition except for the caked dirt. Does anyone have any good SAFE cleaning methods for large cents? I know about the hydrogen peroxide method, but am holding off, as I have no idea as to the value of this coin.

This farm will take years to hunt if done systematically. I know there has to be some silver there too. The original owners were the Strawbridges - old aristocracy important in Philadelphia history. The Keith House is also on this same tract. Keith was the 1st Governor of Pennsylvania.

I will post photos ASAP, as I did not have my camera this trip.

Attachments

• Strawbridge - Penrose Farm.jpg
    Strawbridge - Penrose Farm.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 331
yo

From the land of the Bluenose...looks as ifthat is a great place to dig..and :yes:if it takes years so be it. Keep us abreat and thanks for sharing!

OH all right Bill, if your gonna whine about it, I'll get on a plane and come down and help ya out. :lol: Man that does look promising. Good luck on hunting it buddy. Hope to see some pics real soon.

Whining ------No Way!!!!!!! ( Never was a whiner anyway)

Picture this guys! I now have 3 historical sites within a 10 minute drive. A private land trust of just under 1200 acres with much colonial history, this farm of 103 acres, the Bolieau Farmstead 20 acres. If you guys are serious about comming for a visit, I may be able to provide the places. The networking with the historical societies is really paying off, and ther will be more to follow.

Oh yeah, the pictures: I must have scratched the Indian Head. Really tough with all of that other metal around including pieces of old copper plumbing. 1st coin I ever scratched.

Attachments

• 1846 Large Cent Face.jpg
    1846 Large Cent Face.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 282
Too bad my camera is not the greatest at closeups. These were taken at about 3 inches with macro, then I had to process and enhance the photos.

Attachments

• 1846 Large Cent Reverse.jpg
    1846 Large Cent Reverse.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 277
Very nice finds. Looks like you have some great places to hunt. The best of luck to you and HH.

What really made my day was that I only hunted for about 2 hours. I hadn't found anything better than a wheatie since last fall. Couldn't hunt there this weekend. Willow Grove Naval Air Station held its annual air show this weekend from Friday on. If you look at the aerial view, the edge of the runway tarmac is in the lower right. One of the fields was used to park cars as a way of raising funds for the historical society. I want to maintain a low profile for obvious reasons, and it just isn't conducive to that when they have been getting 30,000 people per day. Wonder what was dropped in the field / parking area? :lol: I can see a good portion of the air show from my front yard, as I am about 2 miles south of the base. Landing pattern final approach turn is overhead of my place. 2nd year in a row that they had a B2 Stealth Bomber there. Awesome sight flying overhead.

I decided to post another aerial so you can see the layout.

Attachments

• NAS Willow Grove.jpg
    NAS Willow Grove.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 244
I got out today for about 4 hours in the sweltering heat. 1st time out in over two weeks due to the monsoon rains and family commitments. I didn't find much. Two dog licenses 1957 & 2001, a bronze ring from a horse harness, a brass decorative hook, and a bronze faucet from the stable yard that was over a foot down.

I did take some photos so that you folks get an idea as to what this area looks like.

This 1st pic is the main farmhouse. It has three additions up to 1850. The original center section is from C. 1720

There is state grant money, and private donations to restore the house at a cost of $ 2 million over the next 3 years.

Attachments

• Strawbridge Farmhouse.jpg
    Strawbridge Farmhouse.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 217
Gov. Keith Mansion - C. 1720. This is on the State controlled section . It is a museum / historic park.

Attachments

• Gov. Keith Mansion.jpg
    Gov. Keith Mansion.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 200
Original marker for "Governor's Road", C. 1720. About 50 yards from this marker are the ruins of a barn from the same time period.

The pictures are of only half of the buildings. The property ( non state controlled section) is 103 acres. The state portion is 41 acres. I will bet money that I will eventually gain access to the state section.

Attachments

• Governors Road Marker - Original C. 1710 -1720.jpg
    Governors Road Marker - Original C. 1710 -1720.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 125
WOW!! What a great place you have there! I would give my eye teeth for a spot that sweet! Good luck and have fun!!

Ang,
The photos are what is lacking in the coin posts. The large cent (1846) must have been fairly new when dropped. You can see every strand of hair and "Liberty" spelled out clearly in the headband. I did the hot peroxide thing on it to get rid of the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom