New Tech

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Not sure how many people here into new/innovative tech but I recently pledged to a Kickstarter Campaign for a pretty cool new security camera system. It's completely 100% cable free, they don't even need power cords, the built in batteries only need to be charged once a year, AND they have face reconigition, so if your buddy Tommy came to your door it will send you a alert saying "Tommy is at the door", pretty cool little system IMO.

HERE's the link if anyone wants to check it out.

-Rich

Now that would be really neat, that would overcome one of the big drawbacks of such cameras, having to run cables all over the place everywhere you wanted a camera. They have wireless cams as far as the video feed, but to not even need a power cable would make it truly wireless.

That is amazing that one charge will last a year, at first I thought they might use a little solar panel to recharge like the outdoor patio lights, but if the battery can really hold up that long on one charge that would be fantastic.

The face recognition and notification is a definite plus.

Once it's been on the market for a while, long enough for customer reviews to give a fair rating of how well it lives up to what's advertised I might consider them (unless they are priced out of my budget range :lol:)

Edit to add: I just looked at the page again and noticed the price of $329 so it's likely out of my budget range for one camera, not saying it might not be worth it, just that not everyone's budget can afford that much per camera.

Edit to add: I just looked at the page again and noticed the price of $329 so it's likely out of my budget range for one camera, not saying it might not be worth it, just that not everyone's budget can afford that much per camera.

The Early Bird 2 $329 price is for 2 Camera's, I got lucky and caught the Campaign 2 hours after launch and got my hands on a Super Early bird so got the 2 Cam System for $299, still debating if I want to add a 3rd Cam for $150, they will be $200 each when they hit the actual market, I will probably end up getting the 3rd camera tho, I can pretty much cover the needed areas of my house with the 2 cameras with the 140° field of view, but seeing they have a 300ft range I'd like the 3rd camera to cover my Motorcycle Shop which the building sits about 150ft from the house, and seeing it has like $50,000 worth of equipment in it, it would be nice to have a quality cam on it on the same system, at I have a standalone IP Cam covering it, but switching it over and being on the same system would be a plus.

-Rich

The Early Bird 2 $329 price is for 2 Camera's, I got lucky and caught the Campaign 2 hours after launch and got my hands on a Super Early bird so got the 2 Cam System for $299, still debating if I want to add a 3rd Cam for $150, they will be $200 each when they hit the actual market, I will probably end up getting the 3rd camera tho, I can pretty much cover the needed areas of my house with the 2 cameras with the 140° field of view, but seeing they have a 300ft range I'd like the 3rd camera to cover my Motorcycle Shop which the building sits about 150ft from the house, and seeing it has like $50,000 worth of equipment in it, it would be nice to have a quality cam on it on the same system, at I have a standalone IP Cam covering it, but switching it over and being on the same system would be a plus.

-Rich

Now $150 sounds a lot more affordable, maybe after it's been on the market for a while there might be some promotions where it will be discounted to around $150 from the normal $200

Here's the camera I'm using now, not wireless, but works very well, good night vision and I can access the view from anywhere -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6NN4ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I like the tech but I’ve no need for it, I pay through the teeth for homeowner’s insurance.

We get a 20% Discount on our Homeowners Insurance for having a "Surveillance System/Camera System", so could still be worth it for you.

Here's the camera I'm using now, not wireless, but works very well, good night vision and I can access the view from anywhere -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6NN4ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

yea the standalone IP Camera I have setup on the Motorcycle Shop is similar to that. I like having that one on the Shop because like yours, we're able to access it via Smartphone and the particular Camera we use has all kinds of nice options like pan, tilt, zoom, and things like a mic & speaker, so I can talk & listen to someone near it even if I'm in BFE! Which is Coolio.

For the house we use THIS System made by Zmodo (we have a 1TB HD in ours), it isn't to bad for now. When I bought it I knew it was going to be a temp system so I just have the 4 Camera's hooked up to 4 different extention cords running here and there, lol. I am definitely excited about the new system and ZERO cables/cords. I also like that they have quick mount magnetic bases on the Cameras so if I want to use the Camera in another spot temporarily or take it somewhere like every year my Friend and I toss a HUGE 4th of July party and last year someone snatched like $100 from the Bartenders Tip Pot, would work perfectly for a situation like that, just grab one before we leave and then just find a outta the reach spot with some metal to toss it onto pointing towards the Tip Pot!

yea the standalone IP Camera I have setup on the Motorcycle Shop is similar to that. I like having that one on the Shop because like yours, we're able to access it via Smartphone and the particular Camera we use has all kinds of nice options like pan, tilt, zoom, and things like a mic & speaker, so I can talk & listen to someone near it even if I'm in BFE! Which is Coolio.

For the house we use THIS System made by Zmodo (we have a 1TB HD in ours), it isn't to bad for now. When I bought it I knew it was going to be a temp system so I just have the 4 Camera's hooked up to 4 different extention cords running here and there, lol. I am definitely excited about the new system and ZERO cables/cords. I also like that they have quick mount magnetic bases on the Cameras so if I want to use the Camera in another spot temporarily or take it somewhere like every year my Friend and I toss a HUGE 4th of July party and last year someone snatched like $100 from the Bartenders Tip Pot, would work perfectly for a situation like that, just grab one before we leave and then just find a outta the reach spot with some metal to toss it onto pointing towards the Tip Pot!

Here is the one we use inside to keep an eye on my mother-in-law (who is 92 with dementia) as she sits in her plush chair at the dining room table during the day drinking her coffee or soda, we can check on her occasionally from other parts of the house or from the yard if we're doing yard work -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO9XZR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I am curious as to what the EULA is.

Given that camera sales and the optional $2.99 per camera cloud storage alone will not pay for the operational cost of the data farm, power consumption, bandwidth, and maintenance, etc required for the facial recognition (unless this is outsourced to a third party - who will now also possess your data). Add to this the costs of salaries, manufacturing, etc...

It is likely that your video feed will be monetized as part of the business plan.

Also be sure that the sound is not recorded, because many (if not most) states require two party agreement for voice recordings. Recording without consent would be illegal.

I foresee an upcoming announcement by the end of 2018 that this company and product will purchased by Facebook or some such. Looking at the sites image regarding facial recognition, it may already be data scraping Facebook for its deep learning base.

Back
Top Bottom