Spoof phone calls.

hoser

Forum Supporter
I have caller ID and I can pick and choose the calls I want to take. I can't imagine the poor folks who don't have it. We have been getting a lot of spoof calls over the last year, and whoever is doing this is using phone numbers right here in our town. At first I answered several thinking it was a local call...........WRONG! It was just a robo call stating I had just won a nice trip. After I hung up on them I quickly called the number back and on several occasions I got some person who had no clue their number had been jacked. Now I just let it ring and when it stops I call back only to get the recording that the number I dialed is no longer in service. Once I stayed on the line till someone with a pulse answered and all I did was give them the Darth Vader breathing sound.:shock: :lol: Sure wish there was something a person could do to inflict some hate and discontent back at them.;):D And no I'm not gonna get a new phone.

I feel your pain but probably 100 times over. I work tech support for a major grocery chain and part of my job is dealing with phone issues in the stores. You have no idea how many people will call in either getting those calls or having customers complain that they are recieving these calls and their ID says it's coming from the store. Unfortunately not much you can do to stop it. You could block the number but they are just going to pick another random one next week and be back to the same issue.

They're mostly using Google Voice to jack the numbers. I do LOTS of deals on Craigslist and they'll spoof a random/your number through Google Voice, then give it out to people they're ripping off. Once they find a person dumb enough to fall for their terribly planned and executed "scam", that person now has YOUR number as the "scammer" and will call pissed off squawking and bawking!!

It's pointless to call the numbers back and complain, they've already changed to another number and the person you're calling and yelling at is probably your neighbor! :laughing:

Been getting them for a long time! We hardly ever answer the phone anymore and just let it go to voice mail. If they don't leave a message I figure it wasn't very important! If they do, and it is some scam I can block that number as well!!

Also been getting them on Cell phone as well as land line.

My father got one the other day, the caller said my nephew was in an accident and needed $1257 to pay for his rental car. He also said he was from my town, my nephew has only been here a few times so the odds are he does not have friends here.

Don't answer. They seldom let it ring long enough to go to voice mail, and never leave a message. They WANT you to call them back, then they know they have a good/viable number.

I've even heard of people getting calls from their own number :lol:

There's no useful purpose for the ability for someone to "spoof" a number, and the entire ability to do so should be blocked from happening.

I get one every week or two, but I don't answer any call not in my contact list.

I’ve said this before, if you’re smart enough to be able to do this kind of stuff , why can’t they use that knowledge to make an honest living.

I have caller ID and I can pick and choose the calls I want to take. I can't imagine the poor folks who don't have it. We have been getting a lot of spoof calls over the last year, and whoever is doing this is using phone numbers right here in our town. At first I answered several thinking it was a local call...........WRONG! It was just a robo call stating I had just won a nice trip. After I hung up on them I quickly called the number back and on several occasions I got some person who had no clue their number had been jacked. Now I just let it ring and when it stops I call back only to get the recording that the number I dialed is no longer in service. Once I stayed on the line till someone with a pulse answered and all I did was give them the Darth Vader breathing sound.:shock: :lol: Sure wish there was something a person could do to inflict some hate and discontent back at them.;):D And no I'm not gonna get a new phone.

I got me one of these https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Ca...1-spons&keywords=cpr+call+blocker+v5000&psc=1

Currently have about 200 numbers in my blocked list, plus the thousand or so pre-entered by the manufacturer. When a blocked number calls me, it rings once and woosh! it disappears.

If I hadn't already bought a call blocker, I would buy the Jollyrogers service and have fun wasting the telemarketer's time. Salty Sally is a hoot. :laughing:
http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/pick-a-robot

I got me one of these https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Ca...1-spons&keywords=cpr+call+blocker+v5000&psc=1

Currently have about 200 numbers in my blocked list, plus the thousand or so pre-entered by the manufacturer. When a blocked number calls me, it rings once and woosh! it disappears.

If I hadn't already bought a call blocker, I would buy the Jollyrogers service and have fun wasting the telemarketer's time. Salty Sally is a hoot. :laughing:
http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/pick-a-robot
Oh now that is heeelaryus.:laughing: You buy one of those you would also have to buy a good recorder just so you had something to laugh at when you were feeling down. Thanks Rudy.;)

I get these calls constantly on my personal and work cell.

Factory warranty expired on my 2013 Ford over two years ago, but I still receive calls almost every day to extend it.

I have this disturbing hobby where I get these calls from telemarketers and I tie them up for as long as I can, only to crash their sale in some way. Their pleasantries almost always turn into four letter words and screaming :lol:

I don't do allot of texting, maybe just to wife or grown children now and then.

Lately, both my wife and I have been getting odd/weird texts from unknown names. We just delete them without opening anything!! Too many phishing scams going around!

I have been getting more of these calls lately. Yesterday I got one that said it was coming from my own number. I didn't answer. :roll:

I have been getting more of these calls lately. Yesterday I got one that said it was coming from my own number. I didn't answer. :roll:
Yep. We have the bundle from Charter communications so when we get a call it shows up on the tv screen as well as on the caller id on the phone. Weird when you see your name and number show up saying you are getting a call from YOU!:shock::?::laughing:

Yep. We have the bundle from Charter communications so when we get a call it shows up on the tv screen as well as on the caller id on the phone. Weird when you see your name and number show up saying you are getting a call from YOU!:shock::?::laughing:

My wife and I both have gotten calls from our own numbers at least a couple times so far within the last few months, sometimes one right after the other :lol: of course we know not to answer them or the other kind of spoof calls.

Seems like these calls are happening more and with many people.

When I get one with an Indian accent, I call them a Censored by Admin before I hang up.

I think that whatever phone company or Google Voice that allows them to enter random numbers they have no rights to should be sued for their complicity in fraud. I would love to see them barred from the phone network until they clean up their acts.

-- Tom

Kindly refrain from posting expletives in any language.

Last edited by a moderator:
spoof calls

I get those calls all the time as well , the do not call law is a joke. The calls started to be a lot more frequent after i became a senior citizen. The say most of those Robo calls come from out side the country. You hate not to answer local calls because it could be a reminder for a doctor or pharmacy .

If you are getting them on your smartphone, download an app called Hiya. It is free and will identify the call before you answer it so you know what it is. Works great. I have referred many people to it and they all love it.

Back
Top Bottom