Tennis elbow

ohiochris

Elite Member
.........or detectorists elbow :( has been threatening to ruin my detecting for a while. Ive been too cheap to see a doctor about it but Im gonna have to break down and go in. It fits every description Ive read about "tennis elbow" but Ive been hoping it would heal up on its own. You would think it would be in the arm that I hold the detector with but its in my other arm , I guess from all the stress and rotation involved when I dig a plug. Ive had the problem for about 6 months , atleast its almost winter and I will soon have to give up detecting until spring anyway. This never happened when I was younger , getting old is a pain. Oh well , at age 44 its about time to find a doctor anyway.

Go to the doc and get a cortisone shot, it works most of the time, and you will feel about 20 years younger, (ok that might be a slight exaggeration, but it should be worth it), I have bad reactions to them, but after a week, I'm usually ok and in less pain. Better than the back in the day surgery.

.........or detectorists elbow :( has been threatening to ruin my detecting for a while. Ive been too cheap to see a doctor about it but Im gonna have to break down and go in. It fits every description Ive read about "tennis elbow" but Ive been hoping it would heal up on its own. You would think it would be in the arm that I hold the detector with but its in my other arm , I guess from all the stress and rotation involved when I dig a plug. Ive had the problem for about 6 months , atleast its almost winter and I will soon have to give up detecting until spring anyway. This never happened when I was younger , getting old is a pain. Oh well , at age 44 its about time to find a doctor anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you were in the military. If so I would check the VA system.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you were in the military. If so I would check the VA system.

I looked into that once , I wasnt on active duty long enough or during a war. For one reason or another I wasnt eligible. Besides Id rather not tie up the system anymore than it already is , so people who need the attention a lot more can have a chance to get it.

Its not so much that I cant afford medical attention , I have decent insurance , though I really dont need extra bills to pay , ....its more of a combination of being cheap and being afraid of doctors :lol:

I looked into that once , I wasnt on active duty long enough or during a war. For one reason or another I wasnt eligible. Besides Id rather not tie up the system anymore than it already is , so people who need the attention a lot more can have a chance to get it.

Its not so much that I cant afford medical attention , I have decent insurance , though I really dont need extra bills to pay , ....its more of a combination of being cheap and being afraid of doctors :lol:

Yeah I think some don't get enough but I can't complain and I don't take advantage of everything that is available. You can get over that fear of doctors but being a cheapskate is a little harder to do.:p

One thing I have now happening to me is my left knee is hurting from digging plugs. 2 things, first is this is my first full season of detecting and second I'm only 24 years old and I'm in the military. I'm fit but it only hurts when I'm digging a plug. So what I'm getting at is maybe we need to rest over the winter and look into new ways of detecting/ digging plugs for next year

Clad 58.14, oldest coin 1884, rings 8, gold 1,silver 8, wheats 29

Put your hand flat on a table, and check your forearm for knots just below the elbow joint. I had this problem once before. I thought I was going to have to have surgery. I couldn't do anything that required any kind of strength with my arm. Then I found that knot. A couple of days of working it and my elbow got better.

The muscle in question is called the Extensor Carpi Radialis Longus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensor_carpi_radialis_longus_muscle

One thing I have now happening to me is my left knee is hurting from digging plugs. 2 things, first is this is my first full season of detecting and second I'm only 24 years old and I'm in the military. I'm fit but it only hurts when I'm digging a plug. So what I'm getting at is maybe we need to rest over the winter and look into new ways of detecting/ digging plugs for next year

Clad 58.14, oldest coin 1884, rings 8, gold 1,silver 8, wheats 29

Sounds like a good idea.

Its normal to feel pain though since the repetitive movement usually uses muscles and joints we dont normally use that way. Every year I get really sore in the spring when I first start detecting for the year , having not done much kneeling or digging all winter. Ive had to refine how I do things a little lately since my knees have given me trouble too. Once you start thinking of ways that are easier on the knees and a little planning you should be able to avoid some of the knee pain.

Put your hand flat on a table, and check your forearm for knots just below the elbow joint. I had this problem once before. I thought I was going to have to have surgery. I couldn't do anything that required any kind of strength with my arm. Then I found that knot. A couple of days of working it and my elbow got better.

I read about doing this somewhere else , I just dont have any knots or swelling really , just a spot that hurts right at the elbow if I put pressure on it. But it sure does hurt when I do anything with my arm especially rotate it at the elbow , and it aches sometimes when I am not moving it.

I read about doing this somewhere else , I just dont have any knots or swelling really , just a spot that hurts right at the elbow if I put pressure on it. But it sure does hurt when I do anything with my arm especially rotate it at the elbow , and it aches sometimes when I am not moving it.

Could it actually be from your computer desk? I ask because i had a similar issue, stopped sitting at that desk and my arm healed. Must have been a non ergonomic position...just a thought

Could it actually be from your computer desk? I ask because i had a similar issue, stopped sitting at that desk and my arm healed. Must have been a non ergonomic position...just a thought

I dont think so , I only sit at a desk 3 days a week intermittantly , but since this past spring I have dug a HUGE amount of clad and pulltabs , more than previous years as well as lifting a waterscoop full of sand many times. Realistically it could be from just about anything , I am just guessing at it being detecting related since I worked the elbow pretty hard this year. But thanks for the suggestion , I can see how that could make an elbow hurt.

One thing I have now happening to me is my left knee is hurting from digging plugs. 2 things, first is this is my first full season of detecting and second I'm only 24 years old and I'm in the military. I'm fit but it only hurts when I'm digging a plug. So what I'm getting at is maybe we need to rest over the winter and look into new ways of detecting/ digging plugs for next

I use one knee pad. I always kneel on my left knee.
Keeps your pants clean too.

I believe tennis elbow is caused when the muscle is separated, or torn from the bone in the elbow. Both my elbows are having issues and have had for about 3 months. I have had it before. Go to your pharmacy and get the tennis elbow band. Some of the bands have a pillow, some don't. You wear it below the elbow. It puts pressure on the fore arm muscle and takes away the tension on your torn muscle letting it rest and heal. Using it (the elbow) just makes it worse. The winter months will help unless your swinging a hammer. I had it ten years ago and now again. Mine was caused from weight lifting. I'm not doing that anymore!

What Flush Draw done I have done and it still works for me ,I bought a couple forgot the name but the druggist can tell you. good luck:cool:

this is going to sound a bit weird. back when i was turning wrenches at the local ford garage my elbow started hurting. i thought i was going to need to go to the docter. one of the old timers grabbed my arm and sprayed WD-40 on it and told me to rub it in. about 1/2 hour later it quit hurting. Seriously it works. (for most people). its a whole lot cheaper than a doc and worth a try.

Best to get it checked. Been taking it easy and my ankle doesn't seem to be getting much better. From walking funny after an ankle injury it put my foot bones out of alignment. Which made a bone spur grow into my Achilles. And the bone behind my Achilles grew larger. Now if someone bumps my ankle it hurts so bad you see stars. My ankle may wind up making me quit detecting altogether. And not because I want to. No shame in seeing a doctor.

this is going to sound a bit weird. back when i was turning wrenches at the local ford garage my elbow started hurting. i thought i was going to need to go to the docter. one of the old timers grabbed my arm and sprayed WD-40 on it and told me to rub it in. about 1/2 hour later it quit hurting. Seriously it works. (for most people). its a whole lot cheaper than a doc and worth a try.

It quit hurting permanently, or just for a while?

Back
Top Bottom