I need to get healthy! Quick!

Beefcake

Elite Member
Well... when I got back from St. Augustine I had a doctors appointment to look forward to... I knew it wasn't going to be good. 3 years ago, I started seeing the doctor because I had a suspicion that my blood sugar was a bit high... My grandma, mom, dad, brother all are diabetic. I became dedicated to lowering my sugar without drugs because I'm a firm believer that the drug companies produce drugs that once you start them, you become stuck on them for the rest of your life because one of the main causes of diabetes is being overweight.... then the drugs make you gain wait only keeping you where they want you...on their drug! So... I lost over 50 pounds and my sugar levels were down to normal. Last year, as many of you know, I had a rough summer losing the house and really bad school situations, and stopped going to the doctor and taking care of myself. I knew the results were going to be ugly, but they are a bit uglier than I anticipated... The last time I had blood work done my 3 month avg # was 5.6 ... I just got my results back today and they had jumped to 10.6 with an avg of 186 bgl at the time of the blood test. My cholesterol was back up to 250.... Wow... I'm quite disappointed with myself and rather discouraged at this point because my doctor prescribed Actos for me... It's really tough for me to keep my levels low and eat right when I am staring at pizza 5 days a week. I really struggle with eating right because I really (I mean really) cannot eat many vegetables... some taste so bad to me that they would literally make me ralph! I guess swinging the MD isn't enough exercise for me.... but I gotta do something... I'm just really concerned with the drug that is prescribed making me gain weight...that's the last thing the old beefcake needs... Has any other member had any experience with Actos for type 2 diabetes? I'd like some advice or support or opinions....

Start walking. Start with short walks; 2 blocks out and back and see how you feel. If you're feeling OK, then do it again. Try to walk at a good pace but not too fast if you're not used to walking. Gradually walk further and longer. Cut-out the pop and lay-off the pie. You don't want to starve yourself, just eat healthier and use your big muscles - they'll burn more calories. You'll lose a lot of weight the first 2 weeks, then it will slow down to a pound or so a week. In time you might want to try running. I used to run everyother day and I weighed 170. But you need to work up to running. Start by walking and see how the joints feel. Get those muscles used to working harder slowly.

Can't help you with the medication. That's about the only problem that doesn't run in my family.

Wow beef, get that cholestoral down bud!

My last full physical was in Nov 07, and I was actually shocked that my cholestoral was below 200, it was like 192... which is okayyyyyy. But yeah, I need to shed a few pounds myself and get a kidney test done again. My last one showed high amounts of stuff usually found in someone who drinks heavily... however, I hardly drink *cough* unlike my g/f *cough*. But I do drink energy drinks religiously... maybe that's a cause?

Beef I am type 2. I lost over 40lbs. But like you the stuff runs deep in my family. I take metformin (sp) It is one of the older drugs but has the least side affects. My last A1c was 6.5. I test myself 2 or 3 times aday.As you well know the Blood Sugar affects everything and every affects the blood sugar.At times I get down but once I stop and think that its the BS then I am able to get back up.Have you taking the classes on eating? They give you the ideas on what you can eat but its up to you to decides through trial and error what works best for you.( Anyway that is what works for me). My doc. is very good. and Maybe you should change or at least talk with another doc. Maybe Metformin will work for you?It can mess with your stomach at first but your body will ajust.I have found that cinnamon also helps keep my level down.If I can have in anyway let me know. This stuff is a *****. But you have to keep it under control.My doc. gave me an excamble Diabeties is ternamal (sp) desease like cancer and left untreated or not take serious can be a long painful end.

Wow Rich... Don't order my Hoveround just yet buddy...lol j/k I'm actually not in that bad of shape in general... I can walk 2-3 miles with no problem... I just need to get out and do it... It can be tough with having the two small kids... they are in the stages where they don't want to ride in a stroller and it's rather tough to push them in one anyway... thus they really slow our walks down and lose the effectiveness. I have to figure out a better plan to get my exercise in.... I enjoyed having my wife as a partner the last time... she lost a good bit of weight with me, but somehow we both managed to fall off the wagon. I am bored to tears going to the YMCA, but I enjoy going on walks. When I lost it the last time, I stuck to a 1600 cal/day diet and walked 2 miles/day. I'm just disappointed in myself and bummed out that it had progressed to that level... I didn't think I was that bad off honestly, but the numbers don't lie. I appreciate the encouragement!

Eat vegatables they might taste better if you grill them with chicken as chicken kabobs. I made some last night, had chicken, onion, tomato and mushooms. Drink plenty of water and you might consider a job change that makes one burn calories. Just suggestions.

Beefcake, try wheatgrass juice. Some people can't stand the smell or taste but the stuff is really good for you. Just gulp it down, then suck on a slice of orange or drink something to remove the taste in your mouth. Try an ounce or two everyday for a month.

Didn't mean to insult you Beef. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you can, try leaving for work an hour earlier. Then go find a track and do laps for half an hour. If you can, do the same thing after work. I'd sure start by walking - at least the first week or two. You don't think you're going to injure a knee until it happens. Then you're done doing laps for a long time. If you can find a cushioned track, that would be best. It's kind of like soft asphalt and really is a lot softer to walk/run on than the regular asphalt. You can still takes the kids out for a walk when you get home.

You could also just work-out at home. Do all that stuff you used-to do in gym class. Any increase in physical activity will help you. Be real careful with any sudden changes in diet - like cutting you calories in half. Again, a slow reduction would be safer.

Talk with Doctor Angie. She knows her stuff.

Thanks for pointing that out Epi. Our medic on the ship mentioned this to me a few months ago... about stoping drinking soda... not even diet because of the alleged link between it and diabetes, but it hasn't really been proven as much as suspected of having the link. He lives on diet coke as well, haha. But if you stop drinking soda, and go to water, you're bound to lose 5 pounds just from that!

I also have type 2 and am the first in my family to have diabetes. Mine is from all the chemical they sprayed around in Viet Nam. I also have my ups and downs with weight and do a lot of walking. Old eating habits are easy to fall back into. I guess you just gotta kick yourself in the arse and leave the pizza alone for awhile. I know test results can get you down but who can you blame?
Just a suggestion for the kiddies. Get yourself a good wagon, those ones with sidebaords and oversized tires to pull the kiddies around in instead of the stroller. They might enjoy that a little better. Oh yeah, you need chrome rims and flames on the side! And don't forget the rag top for sunny days.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32826

:)

HH Jim

Hang in there Beef you can do it. If I lived closer to ya we'd get together and walk walk walk. I am 47 years old 6 foot tall and weigh 155 pounds, so as you can see I am not too heavy by any means. One day last March I wasn't feeling so well & kept feeling worse, I called 911 and ended up in a major hospital about 200 miles away from me (St.Joseph's hospital, Syracuse,New York) and had 3 stents imediately put into my heart. Although my heart was/is fine, but my high chloesterol (over 320) clogged my 3 main arteries 100% and my 4th main artery was clogged 60%. My heart was being starved from getting blood. You would think that me weighing only 155lbs. and work on our dairy farm 7 days a week that I would be really healthy. I was eating all the wrong kinds of food & too much of them. I believe that the biggest thing in our health issues is hereditary & lack of proper exercise. Walking is the best exercise of all, even though I am a busy dairy farmer I wasn't walking enough, instead of walking from here to there I would jump on the 4 wheeler, alot of riding on the tractors,etc. I never took a pill in my life & now I have to take 3 and a half pills every day, but the hospital told me I was very lucky to be here - most people don't make it that were in the shape I was in. I know it is very hard to find the time to do everything we should do in todays busy world and like you I have a young child (a son 4 years old) & it makes it more difficult to relax while you are on your walk when you have to keep a constant eye on your child. So my friend I am sending you best wishes and hope that everything gets back to normal for you. Steve.

Even if you have to go out for a walk at midnight, go for it, no matter if the neighbors think you are nuts. It has really helped me & so has the cholesterol medicine I take. My cholesterol level went from over 300 to under 200.

One thing that concerns me is that most medicines helps in one way & almost always seems to have a bad effect in another way. Example - My cholestor pill knocks down my cholesterol level but it is not good for my liver.

Best exercise there is is swimming, i'm diabetic too and i also had problems with my knees from being a rugby player years ago and also overweight, walking is good but with dodgy knees you have to take care. swimming, believe it or not exersizes every muscle in your body at once, 2 hours 3 times a week will keep you in perfect shape, obviously less to start off with.

Best exercise there is is swimming, i'm diabetic too and i also had problems with my knees from being a rugby player years ago and also overweight, walking is good but with dodgy knees you have to take care. swimming, believe it or not exersizes every muscle in your body at once, 2 hours 3 times a week will keep you in perfect shape, obviously less to start off with.
Never knew swimming was so good for you, I wish that I could swim, we have a pool and I tell everyone - I can't swim but I can get just as wet as anyone else can. Actually I can swim alittle but I just can't relax enough to make it for it is not work, don't tell anyone but I am afraid of the water. I almost drowned once along time ago, trying to show off & swim to the middle of the bridge from shore and got into the current and I got tired and couldn't make it any further. Luckily a friend came to my rescue. If I had to pick a way to go it sure wouldn't be drowning, got to go I'm freaked out now just thinking about deep water. Steve.

There must be something to it because Hawaii is already moving to ban Aspartame.

From the Douglas Report:

So let me set the record straight now. Aspartame is one of the most dangerous substances ever added to food. Not only has aspartame been proven to make you fatter, it's been proven to cause some pretty serious diseases, not the least of which are cancer and neurological diseases.

And the proof is on file already. Aspartame has brought more complaints to the FDA than any other additive-ever. It's responsible for a full 75 percent of the complaints the agency gets. From 10,000 consumer complaints, the FDA compiled a list of 92 symptoms, including death.​
The Douglas Report

Rich... You didnt' offend me in the least... I was trying to make a Hoveround joke... couldn't resist.. Epi... Your so smart!...lol What you are saying makes absolute sense and I guess I shouldn't be afraid of the drug. I am to be tested 3 months from now again to see how things are moving along. I plan on starting the drug over the weekend. I really appreciate the thoughts of good will toward me... You folks are some of the greatest people I've ever had the priviledge of being associated with. This weekend I will get paid, so I'll have the money for the prescriptions... (I'm also prescribed for Chantix also to kick the old smoking habit too..) My wife is kinda freaking out about that drug because I guess someone killed their spouse while halucinating... that's all I need..lol

I know that quitting smoking is a hard thing to do, I smoked for along time and since my "stents in my heart" episode I have been smoke free, sure saves alot of money too (cigs about $5.00/pack) . I figure 5.00 x 30 = $150.00/month and that is a payment on something that you want or need. My wife just started taking Chantix and she hasn't tried to kill me yet, at least not that I know of. Good luck ole boy you got alot of folks here rootin for ya. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom