• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A couple of pictures from my trip to the Keystone Arch Bridge Trail

BottleCapKing

Elite Member
Spent the last two sundays walking along the Westfield river with my camera. Burned out on detecting, so I have pulled the camera out of storage.

_MG_3855.jpg
The north side of the "B" Bridge. This is a mortarless bridge. It is 65' high.

_MG_3884.jpg
This is one of several small waterfalls north of the "B" bridge.

Nice pics - bridge is impressive, any idea when it was built? With that stonework probably pretty old.

Nice pics - bridge is impressive, any idea when it was built? With that stonework probably pretty old.

1830 if I recall correctly. It is mortarless construction. They were the first keystone arch bridges built in America. There were 10 in total build over the Westfield for the Albany to Boston rail line. This is the "B" bridge. It is 65 feet high. I Haven't been to the bottom of the "A" bridge yet. That one is 70' high. I was at the top of it. I just wasn't able to find a good path down to the river. The banks of this river are pretty steep on both sides in most places. One of the bridges was destroyed in a flood

The "E" bridge is a double arched bridge. I wasn't able to photograph that one because the sun comes up right behind it. I think these bridges are best photographed at sunset. Been going right around sun up (which means I am leaving at 4am, since it is a 2.5 hour drive for me). Will try to get out there in the afternoon sometime soon.

I drive through lots of old towns along the way, and I make mental notes of potential detecting sites as I drive. Still trying to figure out what I can detect in Northhampton (settled ~1654) and what I cannot.

Back
Top Bottom