What is this tool?

Carol K

Co-owner
Admin
We went to a citywide flea market at the Tripp fairgrounds yesterday, and everything was free. Yes... free.

We picked up this tool because it looks useful and heavy duty. But what is it? It's too heavy for a rake. and the blades have an edge on them.

What exactly is this tool used for? Is it vintage?

Attachments

• rake.jpg
    rake.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 256
  • rake2.jpg
    rake2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 261
  • rake3.jpg
    rake3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 262
Hi Carol...It's a cultivator rake on one side (with the straight tines), and a lawn dethatcher on the side with the bent tines.

To dethatch, you work it back and forth in the grass carefully. The angle is adjustable for your physical height, and to regulate the degree of desired "grip" on the thatch, so as not to pull up the grass along with the thatch.

Chuck

Looks like a human powered roto-tiller, haha. That thing must suck to use
runaway.gif

It actually works pretty well, assuming you don't have a big lawn and enjoy activities conducive to meditation...like house painting....Also a handy thing to put away for the day when gas is up to $15.00 a gallon!

Chuck

The link has great information, but it sounds like something someone could do when they have too much time on their hands.

I think our lawn is mostly weeds! :lol:

I think it belonged to Freddy Krueger!

The handle is sturdy and very long, taller than me, and I'm 5' 7"

I guess I could post what it says on the handle. Give a few minutes.

Added: It says

UNION FORK AND HOE CO. with a logo and APLR 903329

The other side has a green label that says Green Thumb deluxe

The tines are long on one side (about 3 inches) and short on the other(about 1 1/2 inches), and both sides are curved and sharpened.

It is exactly as tall as me, 5'7"

It's pretty heavy, not something I would normally use for a rake.

Well, I believe a "dethatcher" is exactly what it is. I tried it out this morning and it works perfectly.

We will probably use it more as a cultivator though. It should get the weeds out of the garden real easy.

Thanks all!

We went to a citywide flea market at the Tripp fairgrounds yesterday, and everything was free. Yes... free.

We picked up this tool because it looks useful and heavy duty. But what is it? It's too heavy for a rake. and the blades have an edge on them.

What exactly is this tool used for? Is it vintage?

It is vintage! It is probably late 60's early 70's. Great find!

Thanks Voriax!

I can't believe I lived my whole life and never heard of dethatching a lawn. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom