Water Hunters please read this!!!!!!

Paulb

I live near freshwater beaches here in Ohio and I have a question that has been bugging me for some time.If someone was to lose,say,a gold ring or something with some weight to it in say 3-4 feet of water,with the movement of the water from the waves crashing ashore,would the item sink straight down into the sand below them,or would the current take it out further.The reason I ask is in the winter time here the water level gets really low,exposing most of the swimming area all the way out to the buoys which gives you all the sand area exposed where people normally swim.Since it would be impossible to detect that deep when the water is up,everything lost should be accessible during the winter unless it went straight down into the sand.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gold is heavy and you should hunt any swimming area that is exposed. You quite possible have yourself a "gold/silver mine" unless CraiginCT has been there and cleaned it out. Depending on how many areas you have it might be an advantage to get an in water detector. Wave action will move it around and send it deeper, but you need to hunt it all.
pop

Thanks for the reply POPTOP.I know during the swimming season there is TH'ERS searching the areas they can wade in but like I said during the winter the whole swimming area is exposed, but I haven't had any good hits yet.That's why I wondered if the current would carry it out deeper.

Hi Paul, I take it your water levels are way down in your neck of the woods too. I have had real good luck in the spring up here where I live just after the ice has gone out. During the winter when it is forming, and when the wind blows the pack ice towards shore, it pushes up a mound of sand. Hunt the mound real good, and as far out as you can get into the water below this mound. The sand has been plowed up towards shore exposing lower layers of the bottom sand. Anything that was normally ten to twelve inches deep in the sand is now closer to the surface. Time line for doing this is very short as the weather gets better, the wave action will start taking this sand mound back out into the lake.

Hoser...Yeah there is a small mound of sand that goes from one side of the beach to the other.I tried searching it before with a cheaper detector but found nothing.Is it possible for the current to pull an item farther out of is it to heavy????Also when you water detect how do you pinpoint when you can't see the coil???THANKS

Well, I don't have a water machine so that really limits me to how deep I can go. Our water up here is pretty clear too. Are you using a scoop? I would say that once you have pinpointed the target as close as you can, insert the scoop at the edge of your coil, pull it off to the side, and dig from there. Craig or any of the real water hunters will give you the proper advice on this proceedure. :yes:

Rings like coins do move with the currents and wave action. In the ocean check for small pockets which will contain many of both because of movement, kinda like a little pit/hollow in the middle of nowhere. Also Gold rings have a tendency to sink very fast if in sandy fresh water beach areas. IMHO. H.H.:-)

I agree with Waterman here...

I have detected a few freshwater lakes with my PI and have found the finds are very deep and I don't think they will move like thay do in the saltwater... You're not going to have the huge movements of sand as on a saltwater beach... Some of the stuff I found in freshater was very deep, I pulled a few coins from over a foot down...I think in freshwater when a heavy item like a ring hits bottom its going to sink right where it is and keep going until it hits clay or rock and some of the stuff won't be found.

In my opinion

gold with weight sinks right where it was dropped.

25% of lost items are knee deep and shallower
50% of lost items are waist deep and shallower
25% of lost items are deeper than waist deep.

Find the hardpack and you'll know the answer. ;)

Paulb said:
Thanks for the reply POPTOP.I know during the swimming season there is TH'ERS searching the areas they can wade in but like I said during the winter the whole swimming area is exposed, but I haven't had any good hits yet.That's why I wondered if the current would carry it out deeper.

Paulb,  one  more  mini-tip  that can help  you.  "I hav'nt had any good  hits yet"  Generally  speaking, as  I hunt  fresh water  most  of  the time,  The  good  hits  are  usually  coins or junk  and  the  not so  good  sounding  hits  are  the  gooooood   stuff.   dig  it all..Gil

Paul, get your tail to the lake NOW whilest that water level is down. Although currents can move some items along with the sand it would take some considerable wash to move the things you mention. Go boy Go. Lake swimming areas have been productive hunt sites for me here in Georgia especially when the water is down. <Thank you Corps of Engineers>. I just took delivery of my new Excalibur1000 and can't wait to try her out. Myrtle Beach in July! Yeah!
Keep swinging
Jim

Back
Top Bottom