Unbelievable - Couldn't wait to share this!! (10/15 update - #7 & #8)

ATDigger

I've been working a new place on and off for the past couple of weeks. It's been pretty good to me and I'm getting close to posting a final tally, but this one couldn't wait.

Last time I was there, I dug this interesting tin badge.

IMG_3571.jpg

I figured it was some sort of kid's item, considering the thin construction. However, when I got home and cleaned it up, I could make out the words "for president" and a date - 1864.

IMG_3575.jpgIMG_3573.jpg

I thought "Holy Cr*p! Is it a pin from the 1864 presidential election?" So I jumped online and did some research. There didn't seem to be too much available, until I found this photo:

1864_lincolnjugate_complete.jpg

Sure enough, I was correct - it was a campaign jugate from the 1864 Lincoln-McClellan presidential election. After more research, I discovered that one company had produced two styles of the same campaign pinback for the election - one for the Lincoln-Johnson ticket and one for the McClellan-Pendelton ticket.

McClellan-Pendelton_jugate.jpg1864PresidentialCampaignPinAdvert.jpg

Both included tiny tin-type photos of the candidates (apparently only the second time photos had been used in a campaign). Now here's the kicker... according to a couple of sources, only a few of these are known to exist (see links - http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6092&lotIdNo=1031 & http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=33641) and they have sold for $5000 to $47,800!!!!

Now granted, those were in great shape with the photos, but hey, it's still pretty freakin cool - wouldn't you say?

Oh yeah, and did I mention...

I found four of them! :D

IMG_3576.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!!

WOW! Awesome finds, love the way you ended, it was like scroll, scroll, scroll, BAM! I found four of them!!

That sir, is an amazing:wow: find!!!! And to find four of them:shock:!!! They are a significant piece of American history, and I would bet they would absolutely fetch a pretty penny if you were to auction them! Congrat's!!!!

Heck yeah! Word of advice. When you get an appraisal I wouldn't mention that you have 4 of them until after you sell one. The price can drop if it's not as rare any longer. There may be a lot full of them where you found those:lol:

Heck yeah! Word of advice. When you get an appraisal I wouldn't mention that you have 4 of them until after you sell one. The price can drop if it's not as rare any longer. There may be a lot full of them where you found those:lol:

Good advice. And also don't try to sell them all at one time or it will significantly de-value them.

Back
Top Bottom