Rare coin worth THOUSANDS!

I'm surprised it is only at $1100 with just over a day left. Hopefully this is like eBay and the bids fly in during the last few hours of the auction.

Cheers to the snipers coming in and bidding that baby sky high in the last couple minutes. It's good that the auction will end on the weekend too. I find auctions ending on "paydays'" command higher premiums. Although the collector that would buy something like this probably isn't living check to check.

Bidding doesn't end with this online auction.....the next step, the coin goes to a live auction on the floor....the starting price for that auction will be whatever it ends up as online....if no one bids, it sells to the online bidder....if someone bests the bid at the live auction, it sells there....

Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

I'm ready to start crawling thru the fields on my hands and knees. Wow!

Hopefully the owner didn't sign for that new Corvette yet. Bidding @ $2600

Wow. I'm stunned this coin went as low as it did. That's too bad.
It went for $2600.

Any way to welch on the auction and go back to the $5,000 offer mentioned in the OP?

Wow. I'm stunned this coin went as low as it did. That's too bad.
It went for $2600.

Any way to welch on the auction and go back to the $5,000 offer mentioned in the OP?

It was mentioned a few posts above that the internet bidding is not the end of the auction. I think it just established a starting point for the live auction. I missed that earlier too but if you go to the website again it states it on there somewhere. Hopefully it sells for much more than that.

Wow

Hey great find, looking forward to hear auction outcome.... nothing like finding something that old and finding it a good home.

Nevermind -- went for $4,993.75 -- not bad!!

That's a shame but hey, that's $4993.75 (less fees) that OP didn't have before finding it. That said, while he may be disappointed it's important to realize that his cost was zero so that's 100% profit.

Congrats again, OP.

I wonder if some careful professional cleaning would have helped bring a higher price. I guess the Heritage people made the decision, and they certainly would want to maximize the price. It's a gamble I guess.

Congrats to the finder.

Though it seems a let down, I don't think anyone here would be upset with finding something worth 4g's. Not to mention, the thrill and excitement of researching and discovering what you had. Good job and continued good luck!

Back
Top Bottom