• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New places to hunt!

sonoman06

Elite Member
Beautiful Downtown Port Tobacco...................
I thought it would be cool,for members to list places to hunt that we sometimes overlook, or just plain never thought about. I recently read a post about the guy diggin a bunch of gold from the sewer cleanouts and thought to myself...“ I never thought of that!“ Just list one, or more places that you think are really good places that are often overlooked.

Thanks and HH

Not only places, but places within the core area we may be hunting. Not talking about giving up your places to hunt..just good ideas in general.We often think of these places while idle, then forget when in the field. I also think that keeping a notebook is a very good idea.

I just started so I hope this thread keeps going cause I would like to know some more places to dig. Good idea for a thread! Subscribing now...

Here's one that I have had a lot of success with. Follow a school bus sometime and observe where the pick ups are for kids. You would be amazed at the things you will find that they drop. Especially true at the school loading zones. Watch where they line up to take the bus. On the weekend, visit those spots and I think you will find a lot of goodies!:yes:

Mostly, I do sidewalk strips, medians, and alleys within walking distance of my house. There is plenty of it around me, and no one seems to care. Been dog walking for most of the past 20 years, and have a pretty good feel for where the most foot traffic is, and what areas to avoid (the ones, where a home owner accuses my dog of leaving a 'gift'). Usually, between stores, bars, and restaurants, and cheap efficiency apartments are good for some clad, even currency occasionally. Nothing old, no jewelry, except a couple of junk necklesses. Haven't dug very deep, like to kind of keep it minimal. If I get a good solid signal, sometimes.

Here's one that I have had a lot of success with. Follow a school bus sometime and observe where the pick ups are for kids. You would be amazed at the things you will find that they drop. Especially true at the school loading zones. Watch where they line up to take the bus. On the weekend, visit those spots and I think you will find a lot of goodies!:yes:

Be careful following around a school bus watching kids, you dont want to be "that creepy guy".:laughing:

I know of a couple of streets that still have old trolley car tracks in them. The corners along this route could have possibilities for dropped coins from the past. Places where snow is pushed into piles in parking lots and dumped from the streets in winter also can be good places to look. In parks aand other places, check areas where bushes or trees have been removed recently. Most of them were impossible to hunt before.

I have a small farm in the country and don't really know anyone in town to whom I could hit up for places so I'm constantly trying to think of new places to go. Great post! Since I'm in a rural area in Tx. I mainly stop into older church grass parking lots. Wish I had better places to go. I see lots of nice places but just don't know who to ask. Have never ever been to a park. Been trying to think of someone I might know who works for the city. Thanks

I know of a couple of streets that still have old trolley car tracks in them. The corners along this route could have possibilities for dropped coins from the past. Places where snow is pushed into piles in parking lots and dumped from the streets in winter also can be good places to look. In parks aand other places, check areas where bushes or trees have been removed recently. Most of them were impossible to hunt before.

The snow thing is a great idea man! I never thought of that. Theres this parking lot at a christian grade school on a hill. It pushes all its snow over the edge of the hill all winter long. The only reason I know this is because its always the last big pile of snow to melt after spring starts.

I bet theres something there, its an old school, although I don't know how long the parking lot has been there.

Great idea Silversmith and Forlorn! Actually a friend of mine, Bowzerjr, told me that hes been finding jewelry on the edges of shopping center parking lots, from the plows pushing it there. The sick thing is he found them with eyeballs. Thanks for the great idea. I forgot about it till you reminded me. Listing in notebook now!

here's a new one for you. find out who cleans out the pits in the car wash's. they dump the stuff somewhere. the owner of the local car wash dumps his pit clean out at his farm. guess who just got the go ahead to hunt it. HH blev

An Easter hunt in an old park started out as a usual trip. After awhile I noticed a strip of ground excavated for a new sidewalk. Luckily it was before framing or re-bar. This yielded my oldest finds to date. A standing liberty quarter (date unreadable) a 1917 D and a 1944 D mercury dime. The coins were 8 to 10 inches below the dug out strip which was like another 8 to 10 inches. I think without this advantage I would not have found these coins. So anytime you see a work crew, keep an eye out for what they are digging or have already exposed. As a side note, in order to be sure to cover that ground thoroughly I used 2 tone ferrous and glad I did.

Every time i hit the woods i aim for the biggest rocks i can...people sit on them, stand on them and sit under them when its raining...they can be a nice place for clad n such

I've been searching the side hill of a reservoir,a little difficult, looking for lures and anything else. Found a fishing rod. Didn't need the detector for that, but the other things you find are sometimes the bigger reward. Found two intact animal skulls.
Any woods to hunt in will surprise you in what you will find. Search around any body of water also.

Back
Top Bottom