Two Halfs And Bit More

angellionel

Elite Member
Late Saturday afternoon I grabbed my DFX and headed to another site I had recently scouted. The site is heavily wooded, with some partially open fields, and a few areas with groves of pine trees having grassy trails in between them. The trails weren’t covered with snow, though most of the open fields were.

I worked the trails and soon began to dig up memorial cents, clad dimes and quarters. Nothing was hitting deeper than 4 ? inches, and the tones were quite solid. As I detected near the pine trees, where the roots were rising from the soil, I hit on a few wheaties, the oldest being 1940. This heightened my confidence in the site, and so was carefully listening for the deeper sounding tones. After a long while I did hit on two deep sounding signals, with the depth reading between 7 and 7 1/2 in each case. The targets ended up being old wheaties, dated 1926 and 1928. It was now getting dark, so I headed back home, but fully intending to return early Sunday if the weather held up.

By 10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, the temperature was holding at 33 degrees, it was cloudy, but there was no wind. I grabbed my DFX, checked the batteries, and headed back to the site. I picked up from where I had left off the prior day, and again began to hit on clad coins, all relatively shallow. After about 20 minutes, I hit on a strong tone, with a VDI of about 81, and registering at 7 inches. Digging up the target revealed a Barber dime, dated 1912-D. Not bad! Some 15 minutes later, DFX gave a strong signal near one of the pine trees, though the depth was reading at only 4 inches. A clad quarter, I thought, but out pops a silver Washington quarter, dated 1942-D!

Continuing on, I dug up a few more wheaties and clad coins, then, near the end of the trail, I received another nice tone, registering at 6 inches. After cutting a plug and removing some soil, I picked up a merc, dated 1926. Beautiful! I worked the remaining ground for the next 30 minutes, then I walked over to the edge of the wooded grounds. Much of it was covered in snow, so kept walking for a while, until I arrived at a clearing, where a few old trees midway down the hill beckoned at me. I had to be careful while walking down the hill, since the ground was wet, otherwise I would end up being a growing rolling giant snowball! :lol:

There were many shrubs and a few thorn bushes I had to contend with, but the area was workable. The ground was muddy too, due to the melting snow. I began by detecting over the more open areas, and hit on two wheaties, 1926 and 1940, as well as a few pieces of rusted metal. One gnarly tree, with branches stretching out over the shrubs caught my attention. I began to work my way towards it, when I hit on a good signal, with a VDI of 80 and registering at 7 inches. Working through the wet, muddy soil was a pain, and now my gloves where clogged with dirt. The target ended being a 1911 Barber dime. That made dealing with the mud bearable. :D

When I finally started to work the base of the tree, walking all around it, I received a very strong signal, with a VDI of 92 and the depth reading at 5 inches. Again, dealing with the muddy soil, I managed to retrieve a large coin, though I really couldn?’t tell what it was, due to the encrusted soil. I didn’t want to risk scratching the coin by scraping off some of the soil, so I wrapped it in tissue and placed it in my pouch. It wasn?’t until I was home that I was able to determine that it was a 1942 Walking Liberty half! It’s badly stained, due to the type of soil it was in, but otherwise it's in very nice shape. Swinging the coil in the immediate area, I hit on another strong signal, again with a VDI of 92. This time I was able to make out what it was, though it also was stained – a 1901-O Barber half! Two half dollars under that tree, incredible! 8)

I found a few more coins after that, including two wheaties, but no more silver. It was now a little after 2:00 p.m. as it began to rain. That ground was sure to become muddier, so I left, but I will be returning to that site, that’s for sure.

Angel

This is a scan of the half dollars before the encrusted soil was removed.
coins012906FG.jpg

Here they are after removing soil. They are still stained, so I will have to work on that.
coins012906A.jpg

The rest of the silver.
coins012906B.jpg

The wheaties.
coins012906C.jpg

speechless :shock:
I would love to get a day like that

gg

Two days of hunting with excellent results. You sure know where to make some very good finds. Way to go Angel! 8)

Nice going Angel.. Looks like you had a lot of fun :grin: I was stuck working in my garage today :o(

Angel, you have some of the sweetest sites! Very awesome finds. Looks like you're going to have a very good year!

Thanks for viewing and for the comments, everyone! :grin:

bearbqd said:
Too cool. Where is that site again? :)

Que? :lol:

:grin:

epi-hunter said:
One of these days I'm going to figure out what your magic is. :grin:

(Actually I know -- you have awesome sites from great research skills, combined with a great detector that you know how to use to its max!)

Well, the secret is out. :grin:

Thanks for the kind comment, Epi! :D

Cfmct-PI said:
Nice going Angel.. Looks like you had a lot of fun :grin: I was stuck working in my garage today :o(

I did have fun. I was sure glad it wasn't very cold, though. That muddy soil did a number on my gloves. :shock:

Jeff R said:
Beautiful finds Angel! You must have one heck of a collection of them babys!

Thanks, Jeff! I did well with the half dollars last year, and to start this year with two on the same day was quite surprising, since these days they don't come by often or easy. :grin:

Angel

Good going Angle! how was the digging? Still pretty hard here once you are out of the sun. Cladius.

Angel, you did a great job on cleaning up those halves; they don't even look like the same coins.

Cladius said:
Good going Angle! how was the digging? Still pretty hard here once you are out of the sun. Cladius.

The digging wasn't bad. The soil was actually damp, or in the case of the hilly area, wet and muddy. It was better than trying to dig through a semi-frozen ground though, that's for sure.

zoyboy said:
Angel, you did a great job on cleaning up those halves; they don't even look like the same coins.

Thanks, zoy. I like the end result too. The sulfide layer was really taking away from the coin's appeal.

Angel

Back
Top Bottom