Happy Dance - First SLQ!!! 5/3/09

Romeo7

Forum Supporter
Big John and myself met up at the old city park that has been producing all the Mercs. After hunting for about an hour and two rain storms and some hail, we decided to head over to the second oldest park In Boise. It was raining for about an hour, so we sat in his truck and chatted and patiently waited for the rain to stop. I offered a wager of $1.00 (we often play these silly games) for the first to find a silver coin. First couple of targets we hit were a couple of wheaties. John then found a 1955 Netherlands quarter. I then ran my 6" DD coil over a few big trees and got a good quarter hit about 2" from the trunk and dug my first SQL only about 2" down!!!! It was a 1920-S!! :shock: I did the happy dance. :spin::spin: I then found a 1940's Boise Bus Company token. It went dry for us for about an hour. Then as I told John that we had to head home, he dug the most pristine and shiny 1943-S Merc I have ever seen in my life!!! Looks like it was dropped not a day after it was minted!!!

The jury is out on who won the buck. The 1955 Neatherlands quarter may be silver.

Thanks for stopping by and HH!!!

-Mark

Attachments

• P0003673.jpg
    P0003673.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 400
  • P0003676.jpg
    P0003676.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 398
  • P0003677.jpg
    P0003677.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 388
  • P0003678.jpg
    P0003678.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 391
I can't tell if all the digits are visible, or just the trailing "0", but this is a nice find. The early SLQs had dates that were too high on the coin, and wore off quickly. I think it was around 1924 that they recessed the dates so they would survive better. As a result, common G-4 grade SLQs are only worth a couple of $ after that time, while the coins like yours, even commons, in G-4 are worth $20+.

Keep in mind that I don't know the grading standards, and it's possible that the full date must show on a G-4.

For non-USAnian readers, G-4 is "Good 4". The other end of the scale is the almost unattainable MS70 (Mint State 70). I know that dealers of ancient coins (my collecting specialty) spit on this grading system. :)

-- Tom

I can't tell if all the digits are visible, or just the trailing "0", but this is a nice find.
-- Tom

Thanks Tom. The "1" and "9" are half visible with the bottom halves worn off. The "2" and "0" are fully visible.

-Mark

Congrats on the SLQ...that is a really good looking coin. It's hard to beat only having to dig a 2" hole to find one!

Back
Top Bottom