Have you used more than one Minelab XTERRA?

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
Have you used more than one Minelab XTERRA? If so what was the progression like, what were the "upgrade" differences?

I've not used XTERRAs but i have a friend that uses one, and he's thinking about upgrading, but I am not sure what advantages he will gain, so I'm asking you fine folks with experience with the series...

Appreciate you!

Rob

Upgrading from what to what? What sort of detecting is your friend doing?

There are distinct differences in each model, so the more you spend is justified by the more that you get.
I wouldn't go from a 305 to a 505, unless it was determined that the number of available tones and where the tone breaks are along with the ability to run 3kHz are determined to be a sufficient upgrade. Some people like where the tone breaks are on the 505, and for their type of hunting they prefer it to a 705.
Personally, I prefer the 705 for all that it can do. There simply isn't another detector in it's price point that is as flexible/tailorable/capable as a 705.

Regardless, one nice thing about staying with the series, is that any coils accumulated for one will work for all.

I would go with the 705 as the ground tracking feature that it has is well worth the price difference.

I'll be upgrading shortly from the 505 to the 705. 505 has done its job but I'd like a few more features now. Ground tracking, beach mode, more segments, and definitely the back light are things I'm looking forward to. Thought of the Safari, but I have too many coils that fit the 705, it's a no brainer.

Was just wondering abt the differences, from actual users, in the 305 and 705 :)
The differences are huge. The 305 is Minelab's entry level machine, and the 705 is the top dog single frequency VLF unit.
It's like comparing an F2 to an F75SE. Both the F2 and the 305 are solid performers, but they can't compare to their respective big brothers in features or capability.

The differences are huge. The 305 is Minelab's entry level machine, and the 705 is the top dog single frequency VLF unit.
It's like comparing an F2 to an F75SE. Both the F2 and the 305 are solid performers, but they can't compare to their respective big brothers in features or capability.

Right on, he does awesome with his 305 and was wondering if the upgrade would really be an upgrade. I haven't used any of the series, but from hunting next to him, they seem to be VERY capable machines, maybe even the best kept secret of metal detectors.

FWIW, and IMO, having Tracking, Tracking Offset, Beach Tracking, Prospector Mode, Pinpoint ID and Pinpoint Sizing, finer discrimination, and the ability to run all three frequencies (a 305 can only run two), combined with all the expanded auto/manual controls, I consider it to be a substantial upgrade. It all adds up to being able to optimize the setup for conditions and targets sought. And he's already got a leg up on understanding the language.

FWIW, and IMO, having Tracking, Tracking Offset, Beach Tracking, Prospector Mode, Pinpoint ID and Pinpoint Sizing, finer discrimination, and the ability to run all three frequencies (a 305 can only run two), combined with all the expanded auto/manual controls, I consider it to be a substantial upgrade. It all adds up to being able to optimize the setup for conditions and targets sought. And he's already got a leg up on understanding the language.

Very cool, appreciate the help and insight!

Back
Top Bottom