Etrac Screen Protector

JNimons

Forum Supporter
On my borrowed Etrac, the factory clear screen protector has sone dirt under it and won't stick anymore. I read somewhere that you normal cell phone or Ipod screen protectors won't stick to the Etrac screen. Is this really a problem? I was going to go to Walmart and pick up a screen protector that I could cut to fit. What is everyone else using?

I just bought an anti-glare screen protector for mine because I can't see nuttin with the environment cover on.

When I attach it I will let you know how it goes.

One of the main brands available at Staples and Bestbuy etc is the same manufacturer that sells one online for the Etrac, so it should work out, but don't quote me on that.
I believe the company is called "Zaggs".

I had to get a different brand because they didn't have the anti-glare Zaggs in stock locally.
Hope it works.

Choppadude was able to order one from Zagg's in January of this year despite it not being on there website, maybe ask him if he got it if you just wanted to order one that for sure works.

I put the Zagg screen protector on my E Trac when I first bought it and it has done a great job. Well worth the $25

Pennypacker nailed it. Zagg has one already cut for the E Trac. Put it on and let it dry for like three days. The longer it dries the better it looks.

I hated the slip on covers (tried 3 brands) because you couldn't see the already hard to read screen. Then I bought a cell phone cover and it would peel up on the edges. Plus the rest of the head would get dirty. So I came up with a cheap and cool cover. They last around 6 months to a year. No glare at all and it seals up the head nicely. It will work on a lot of other brands too. I made a video and have super feedback from others that have done it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQOO6RKhDYU

OK so the screen protector did not stick at all, in fact I even tried a piece on my tablet, it didn't stick to that either.
I don't know whats up with that.

I was able to make an accurate template by putting a piece of paper on the display and tracing around the edge with my finger nail.

So ya, I would stick with whatever Choppadude or Khouse recommended.

To bad lol, $20 down the drain because I was to impatient to order the proper one from Zaggs.

I've used the static shields and had good luck. (no water/liquid)

Plus they are easy to change----they will get scratched and eventually visibility will degrade.

PVC Heat Shrink Bag

Let me just sum it up this way... Genius.... Thanks... Just got my E-Trac yesterday and ordered some PVC Heat Shrink Bags from Amazon. I ordered the 80 gauge bags instead of the 100 gauge bags they offered. Thanks again!

I hated the slip on covers (tried 3 brands) because you couldn't see the already hard to read screen. Then I bought a cell phone cover and it would peel up on the edges. Plus the rest of the head would get dirty. So I came up with a cheap and cool cover. They last around 6 months to a year. No glare at all and it seals up the head nicely. It will work on a lot of other brands too. I made a video and have super feedback from others that have done it.

Homemade Environemental Cover

Props have to go to khouse and detectingMO.

Here's some pictures of my version of the Heat Shrink Bag Rain Shield for the E-Ttrac.

Let me tell you... it does take time and patience to accomplish though.

Here's what's needed:
** one iPad mini screen protector
** 8" x 12" heat shrink bags (the smaller the MILS number of the bag thickness... the better)
** Painter's tape
** foam double stick tape
** desiccant pack(s) to keep moisture from building up.
** razor knife
** heat gun or possibly, a good hair dryer.
** good scissors
** glue stick
** clear tape (packaging or Scotch type)

First... I made a Screen Protector out of the ZAGG Ipad mini sized screen protector. I did this using the plastic, temporary factory applied screen protector that comes on your new E-Trac. I applied some glue stick glue to the factory screen protector and secured it on top of the ZAGG iPad mini screen protector. Let me add that I've tried other cheaper screen protectors, but the ZAGG version was, and is, the only brand that really adheres to the E-Trac's control pad.

2) Then I used some quick drying spray paint (Mar-Hyde Automotive Trim paint dries to the touch in minutes) and painted the ZAGG Screen Protector lightly, over and around, the over-laid Factory Screen Protector. As soon as the paint is dry to the touch, I separated the Factory cover from the ZAGG Cover. Now, just cut out the pattern and you've now made a durable custom ZAGG Screen Protector. Carefully apply your newly made Screen Protector.

3) Apply Painters Tape to the E-Trac's housing around the edges of the screen as shown.

4) Apply one continuous strip of Double-Stick Tape on top of the Painter's Tape encircling the E-Trac's Face Plate, rounding it over the edges to where it's almost touching the screen. Leave the backing of the Double-Stick Tape on.

5) Cut a Heat Shrink Bag so that it, when pulled over the top of the E-Trac's head unit, it extends about 1 and 3/4 inches beyond the bottom of the screen when pulled over it.

6) Now secure the Desiccant pack(s) as shown with Painter's Tape.

7) Now the tricky part... remove the one continuous piece of backing from the Double-Stick Tape and remove and re-apply it a few times. Leave the backing on as the final step at this time... You'll understand why shortly.

8) Now that the grip on the backing of the Double-Stick Tape has been weakened, with the backing still in place, slide the Heat Shrink Bag over the Control Head of the E-Trac, using needle nose pliers, slip the pliers under the Face Plate and start to remove the backing from the Double-Stick Tape and bond the Heat Shrink Bag to it (as tightly fitted as possible). This is gonna take a few tries... be patient.

9) Now use Packaging/Scotch Tape on the bottom of the Heat Shrink Bag to enclose the control head.

10) Now, carefully use a heat gun to shrink the bag tightly over the E-Trac. Start far away and work the heat gun closer while constantly moving it.

11) Once the bag has shrunk to your satisfaction, take your Razor knife and very carefully cut the heat shrunk bag away from your E-Trac's display screen/buttons carefully following the raised edges of around the display. You can re-inforce any parts of the Heat Shrunk bag with clear packaging tape to give it some real durability.

It's a long process... but I try to protect my Detectors as much as possible. I did both mine and my wife's E-Trac this way. The only difference is, is that on my better half's machine... I allowed access to the E-Trac X-CHANGE port. The cover is really not that obvious or ugly in real life:[/B]

Attachments

• 20160918_114949_resized.jpg
    20160918_114949_resized.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20160918_115053_resized.jpg
    20160918_115053_resized.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 20160918_115124_resized.jpg
    20160918_115124_resized.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 254
  • E-Trac (Fil's) shrink wrappped (bottom).jpg
    E-Trac (Fil's) shrink wrappped (bottom).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20160918_114727_resized.jpg
    20160918_114727_resized.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 260
  • MarHyde paint.jpg
    MarHyde paint.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 253
Go on Ebay and buy an old zagg iPad cover for an obsolete model for a few dollars. You can trim it to the size you need. And install it on all of your machines. I use zagg covers on several different machines and I think I paid five dollars for a large sheet of the material.

And for anyone who doubts that you can find a good deal on zagg namebrand. This is big enough to fit several different machines. I use zag all the time but if it's a machine I'm going to get really dirty then I just use the cheap trimmable offbrand stuff because it's just as good, and I can use them for $.25 and then throw them away every few days when They get dirty or scratched . EBay item number -- 391042379574

I just did this on both my V3i, and Etrac----this is simply incredible. This is much easier to read, protects more, and is more affordable. Takes literally minutes to do, and at the cost of like about .15 per cover, I can put a new one on as frequently as I wish. I have bought some in the past, and they are horrible to read through on a color screen of my V3i, couldn't imagine how bad they would be on the Etrac.

Thanks, again Kenny.

Back
Top Bottom